Split tree, Way beyond my capability to fell.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotclayshooter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
splittree2.jpg

split3.jpg

plittree.jpg

We had a tree down today over a tennis court a 75' 18" DBH Scots Pine it was no problem and done and dusted in an hour.
Then we spotted this horrid split tree its nearer 100' and 36"DBH, We both looked at it it has rot is leaning towards 2 other trees and is split 2 ways!
Both of us said no way would we tackle dropping it.
I wouldnt know where to start (Im not going to!) I cant see any safe way to take this one down apart from the top down.
It just looks like it would explode if we tried it from the ground.
And no access for a Cherry picker:mad:

So how would you tackle this bugger?

Can we get a full shot of the tree?

Can we get a full shot of the tree and the lay of the land?

Last edited:
I cut one like that last spring. It was a 36 inch Red Oak that had been struck by lightning, was leaning several degrees. You really couldn't notch it to amount to anything without losing a bar. So, I cleaned everything around it, nothing to trip over. When I saw the kerf opening I moved away and watched it as it barber chaired about 30 feet up , slid off, and knocked a smaller tree down behind it. Iwas fifty feet away at that point. Of course you read about people like me in the obits from time to time.:)

Im sure i could get more pics.

It looks to me like any attempt to notch it is going to trap the bar.
And the back cut looks real bad as its split into 3 and looks like it may go either way, We need to save the 2 trees in its falling line i rather doubt it could be swung around without a winch.

No worries though we will just get someone with more experience to have a look and put it on the ground then I have the fun part:)

I have cut a couple with splits, one I could see right through but it was much smaller and leaning a good direction. I cut a small face, bore cut to set up my hinge in one of the splits, cut back to make my strap in the other split, cut the strap and over it went.

Hopefully its leaning one way and thats the way you can fall it as wedging or even really relying on the hinge for direction probably isn't a good idea.

I guess the main thing is to trust your instincts, if you can't see a safe way to cut it then don't. I've got a monster Ash tree that has died, Probably 3 cords of wood in it but I can't figure a good way to cut it so I haven't. Next windstorm might do all the work for you.
Ian

I repped you for having good sense. If you can, pull it down with a dozer. I have always wanyed to try explosives but too much red tape. You should probaby call in a professional. Make sure he is insured.

I better fly over there and cut that tree for you.

What's the diameter and how tall is it? It looks tricky but nothing worse than what I've already done many times.

maybe get some big cargo ratchet straps or some ratching chain and binders and strap it together above the cut that might be enough to it together so the cut can be complelty and to safly fell it. maybe 4 five straps a foot apart would be enough.

First off, good instincts.

Something about "A mans got to know his limitations" :)

If there was no other choice, throw line to set your directional and a second for a pull line. Set two sets of chain binders, one above and one below (a third set a few feet above the top wouldn't be a bad idea) your box cut.

You will most likely bind in your box and will want a very clean exit lane. Feather in your box cut. Even lighter on your back cut as each section of the split will be indepent and will want to barber chair on you.

Keep in mind the minute you start your front cut you are committed and will put a crane/bucket crew in great danger if you decide you can't do it. I met someone years ago who had a Locust barber chair on him about 60' up. He had no place to go, horridly scarred for life, he lived. Since then I've used the binder technique on anything questionable, including similar trees to this.

I was being paid to take the risk and in those cases was the safety outlet...if you have other options on this one, use them.

Looks like to me it won't need to be pulled (unless he wants to pull it against the lean, which I doubt there's enough good holding wood to do), it's broken and already heading a direction.

Looks like to me it won't need to be pulled (unless he wants to pull it against the lean, which I doubt there's enough good holding wood to do), it's broken and already heading a direction.

Unless I misunderstood he wanted to try and save the two trees in front of it. I also like the pull line, set to block and tackle, so that I can start my exit a little sooner :)

I better fly over there and cut that tree for you.

What's the diameter and how tall is it? It looks tricky but nothing worse than what I've already done many times.

100' and 36" dbh
It may be a little wider.

treeatpoint.jpg

Feel free to fly over you can drop this one as well this is on the other side of the wood.

That one i can handle:)

Based on your pics, if you intend to fell it the way it is leaning, it doesn’t really look that bad. Notch and drop, just be sure to make your back cut with a bar longer than the diameter of the tree. You don’t want be cutting on both sides of this tree. Wear a helmet, watch out for falling deadwood and plan a good escape route. If you want to make it go opposite the lean, you are on your own. If you can get a tip line in it (throw ball /slingshot, light line etc), you might be able to just pull it down. Or just leave it till the wind takes care of it for you.

Unless I misunderstood he wanted to try and save the two trees in front of it. I also like the pull line, set to block and tackle, so that I can start my exit a little sooner :)

If you can see on one of the pics it has a green tag its in a conservation area so unless its dangerous it has to stay up!
So the 2 trees in front really need to be saved.
If it went over in the wind and took the other 2 with it its no problem, But to get permission to take them down would be impossable

Pull line? we have a 5 tonne tractor and a wire rope:)

If you can see on one of the pics it has a green tag its in a conservation area so unless its dangerous it has to stay up!
So the 2 trees in front really need to be saved.
If it went over in the wind and took the other 2 with it its no problem, But to get permission to take them down would be impossable

Pull line? we have a 5 tonne tractor and a wire rope:)

Make you a deal, you buy the plane ticket, promise me a few days on a certain river, and promise not to talk while you drive (English Father-in-law who's told me all about the driving habits of you Scotts)...I'll be happy to supervise these removals :)

Back