Split tree, Way beyond my capability to fell.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe get some big cargo ratchet straps or some ratching chain and binders and strap it together above the cut that might be enough to it together so the cut can be complelty and to safly fell it. maybe 4 five straps a foot apart would be enough.

+1 First thing that came to my mind. Or, in the alternative, someone from the Red/Green show might want to come down and duck tape it.

Last edited:
Make you a deal, you buy the plane ticket, promise me a few days on a certain river, and promise not to talk while you drive (English Father-in-law who's told me all about the driving habits of you Scotts)...I'll be happy to supervise these removals :)

I bet our driving standard is no worse than yours lol
Would you be thinking a few days on the Spey river would be nice?
And some real Whisky not the rubbish we export lol

That Tree Is All Of 100 Feet Tall... Wow Very Dangerous, Call In The Pros.

We measured the one that fell today and that was 75' and half the DBH of this one that towers above it so im guessing 100' ish

Yep leave it to the pros is my plan, I know my limitations and that tree is beyond mine.

no way I'd go near that unless it was properly strapped.

I'd use bomb proof 4in ratcheting Straps, wrapped multiple times.

152573_lg.gif

Last edited:
Land owner license for up to 100 lb of dynamite a year in Ca used to be $11.00. Times have changed.........

When I was about 10 years old my mom would take me to Army surplus stores that had tons of WWII gear. I always wanted a flame thrower to play with in the back yard. I think they were around $100.00. Never got one. I think it damaged me for life. (OK later in life, starting when I was about 13 I got to light off some pretty big brush fires for rangeland improvement. The biggest was 2,000 acres. Actually it wasn't supposed to be that big. Opps. Good for the cattle though.)

So how would you tackle this bugger?

Based on your pics, if you intend to fell it the way it is leaning, it doesn’t really look that bad. Notch and drop, just be sure to make your back cut with a bar longer than the diameter of the tree. You don’t want be cutting on both sides of this tree. Wear a helmet, watch out for falling deadwood and plan a good escape route. If you want to make it go opposite the lean, you are on your own. If you can get a tip line in it (throw ball /slingshot, light line etc), you might be able to just pull it down. Or just leave it till the wind takes care of it for you.

Uhhhhhhh.... :poke:

Dude… Please don’t take this the wrong way but if you are uncomfortable enough with felling that you need to post on a public forum for help, you have NO business doing this job. We all have to learn sometimes but this is not the way. Please call in a professional tree service before you get yourself hurt or killed.

:laugh::laugh: Just givin ya **** :D

A few yr. ago a buddy called me over to his house/property to "help" fell one sort of like this one. I looked at it, hated it, and declined until he badgered me about two weeks. I finally bit, we did it [80% me doing it], it scared holy Krap out of me and I'll never do it again. I'll take down a lot of things, but that one I'd leave for someone else. I actually spent several nights before falling asleep lying in bed still scared, after it was all over...it was that bad.

Um, cool photos, though. Let us know how it goes or what you decide to do in the long run.

Last edited:
maybe get some big cargo ratchet straps or some ratching chain and binders and strap it together above the cut that might be enough to it together so the cut can be complelty and to safly fell it. maybe 4 five straps a foot apart would be enough.

If you try anything like that use hi-test logging chains (at least 3/8") and some chain binders.

Um, cool photos, though. Let us know how it goes or what you decide to do in the long run.

As The title of this thread states, I aint going anywhere near this tree until its on the ground!
Im not in any way looking for advice on how to drop it im just asking how you guys would do it.
The biggest bar i have is 24" and it just wouldnt do for this job.
No macho BS from me on this one:)

face it as much as you can, hollow the face as best you can.

back bar behind left side holding wood, dog in at the back with tip behind right side holding wood and cut. come around dog in again and finish the job...

if its hollow just kerf and back cut.

have fun with it

Last edited by a moderator:
Rachet straps and binder chain on the trunk would be best plan from my chair very far away. Small cuts to get a notch and then long bar back cut sraight through. Might be a bore cut candidate depends how much wood is solid at base. With the lean shown doubt you will need a pull line unless you want to get some move directional movement. You definitly need to have a clear escape path during the whole cutting procedure.

Great responses but i would like to throw a bone in the doghouse.

ratchet straps are no substitute for chains. Why a strap costs between 20 and 200 dollar, both rated 2tons etc etc. Which one do you have and are you aware of the standards for straps vs chains?

Multi-wrapping a strap has no purpose and can create even more dangerous situations. (look up capstan winches and find out why)

I dont want to start a discussion or hijack this thread. Just be careful out there. thats all.

If you ever have the chance, find yourself a material handling harbour supply store and go talk with these guys. Makes you afraid of mainstream products and taking shortcuts when working with ropes, cables, straps and chains.

:cheers:

looking at your first pic...it doesn't really even look like the wood to the left of the hinge is holding anything...

i would put a small notch on the right side (small because it is prolly gonna try to set down on you) i bet you could nearly cut hald the tree and it not move because i really don't thing the wood on the back of the stump is holding it up....i bet whenever you get up to teh wood that is inside the split is when she is gonna go

Last edited:
Just me...but this is the way that i would prolly cut it....i hate to give recommendations without being there....but im guessing this is the way that i would do it...i'm not saying this is the right way since i cannot see the tree in person.

i would put in a shallow face.. bore in through split and set a hinge(leave a thick one because that is prolly all that is holding the tree) cut towards back of tree...watching ahead and at the kerf. if it holds cut the trigger wood across the back...

as i said before i wouldn't be surprised if the tree goes over as you are setting the hinge because i believe that is the only wood holding it.

don't take this as gospel, this is most likely the way that i would do it.

i wouldn't use any binders or chains....that is just because i don't want anything hitting me in the head if the tree barberchairs and the straps or chains break

splittree2.jpg

totally not true about multi-wrapping not having a purpose.
multiple wraps spreads the load across a larger area, instead of binding in one narrow strip.

as for strength... true straps may not strong as chain, but quality 4inch straps are routinely used by truckers to hold down huge loads. I've strapped down 25k+ lb loads with 4in straps on my trailer.

I'd trust a 4in strap, wrapped multiple times to hold. your mileage may veri... if you are still worried... wrap a chain too... better too safe than not enough.

Great responses but i would like to throw a bone in the doghouse.

ratchet straps are no substitute for chains. Why a strap costs between 20 and 200 dollar, both rated 2tons etc etc. Which one do you have and are you aware of the standards for straps vs chains?

Multi-wrapping a strap has no purpose and can create even more dangerous situations. (look up capstan winches and find out why)

I dont want to start a discussion or hijack this thread. Just be careful out there. thats all.

If you ever have the chance, find yourself a material handling harbour supply store and go talk with these guys. Makes you afraid of mainstream products and taking shortcuts when working with ropes, cables, straps and chains.

:cheers:

Back