Been running the Chomper a little.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been working a little over a week with the Chomper on this little job.
Logs were from 6" to 20" and from 16' to 42' long. I sorted out the saw logs, the one's over 14" that wouldn't fit through the Chomper, and here's what I have so far.
Sorry for the poor pictures. I'm trying to learn how to use my new "camera phone".

Andy

About 55 hours give or take an hour or two.
Best I can guess, I'm getting a little over a cord an hour.

Andy

Way too go Red,

Which model do you have? 14 with autocycle? That's the model I looked at a few years ago. Great machines if you step up the power and pumps a hair (from stock IMO) . I really like the lack of sawdust you don't have too deal with too! Wish I had the dosh for a Chomper. Processor of choice for me!:cheers:

Nice to hear you're pleased with the Chomper. There was a thread a while back where people were pretty skeptical about the concept.

It's a Simplex 14 with the auto option. I swapped the 18 hp Honda for a 35 hp Briggs. It still has a 28 gpm 2 stage pump, but I'm thinking about going to the 36 gpm 2 stage pump since I have the hp to pull it.
No sawdust is a nice benefit, but if the logs set a while the bark will slip and make a mess.
Like any machine, Chomper's have limitations. It's easy to be skeptical about anything, but it sure beats a saw and maul for production.
A lot of processors will produce more wood per hour than the 14, but I've got about $10K invested in the whole set up, and it's paid for. So I'm happy for now.

Andy

I you don't mind me asking, What are you charging to cut his wood? Are you charging per hour or cord? I'm guessing per hour sents it's not stacked.

wood type

Do you ever cut any hardwoods? I like the idea of the chomper, I just want to know if it would work in my area. Thanks.

Nice to hear you're pleased with the Chomper. There was a thread a while back where people were pretty skeptical about the concept.

That was me, on seasoned Oak, and we still think it might be a bit too much for it.
Nice machine, neat concept, but most think it's a softwood king.

Very nice work Andy! Wish I could do that in that amount of time!

Do you ever cut any hardwoods? I like the idea of the chomper, I just want to know if it would work in my area. Thanks.

I've processed some Gambel Oak with it, but that's probably not a good comparison.
You could contact the Mfg. and they could probably get you with someone in your area that has one.
What makes any machine good, or bad to anyone is the height of their expectations.

Andy

That was me, on seasoned Oak, and we still think it might be a bit too much for it.
Nice machine, neat concept, but most think it's a softwood king.

Very nice work Andy! Wish I could do that in that amount of time!

It's not good at all on seasoned oak, just shatters it.
The guy that I'm doing this for had some Red Oak trucked in from Oklahoma this fall. He was amazed at how this little machine just sheared the wood off with no effort. He brought over 5 or 6 pieces of Red Oak, about 12" dia., and about 3/4 seasoned. It sheared those pieces in half about as easy as it did the Doug Fir.

Andy

Latest posts

Back