Anyone use SeaFoam with their saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anynamewilldo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering does anyone use Seafoam with their fuel? While I was in the garage getting ready to cut down some pine that fell next to the house thanks to the ice storm, I put alittle into the ATV and looked on the back and saw it's many uses and chainsaws are listed. I wondered after reading about the use of AV fuels if anyone has tried it.

Some will swear by it, but is pretty much useless if you use fresh (less then 90 days) gas.

Do a search on AS... you'll get some informative threads.

never used seafoam, but i put sta-bil in almost everything just in case

Me, I'm done with sta-bil. I am not aware of it ever working for me and am very convinced it hasn't worked from my experiance.
Seafoam on the other hand has seemed to work very well dissolving mild cases of problems from gas varnishing many times for me with automobiles and air cooled engines.

Probably has its uses for saws. I used to have to dump a heavy dose of the stuff in an old 88 Chevy Celebrity to get the car through Pa. auto emissions inspections. Kept that car on the road 3 year using Seafoam.

I've never used the stuff. I use Echo oil in my saws, it has stabilizer in it.
I use Stabil in my 4 cycle motorcycles and boats.
On the motorcycle forum I read it's about a 50-50 split between Stabil and Seafoam that people use that have to park their bikes in the winter.
I've read on many forums where people recommend the Seafoam for running problems, never read where it actually fixed anything though. I've been around the automotive industry for 30+ years and have yet to see ANY miracles in a bottle. There is usually something needing repair.........454

SeaFoam has a permanent spot on my work bench. I have the pour & spray cans.

Use it for just about everything......Fog outboards, stabilize fuel, penetrating oil, quick wipe down on guns, a shot in the morning coffee and on and on and on.

Liquid gold, I tell ya! :)

SeaFoam has a permanent spot on my work bench. I have the pour & spray cans.

Use it for just about everything......Fog outboards, stabilize fuel, penetrating oil, quick wipe down on guns, a shot in the morning coffee and on and on and on.

Liquid gold, I tell ya! :)

Yes it is!! And it dosent matter if your fuel dosent sit around very long, I run it all the time and it just keeps things cleaned up, and seems to be alot more effective then the so called stabilizer in the oil if you do have gas setting in something for a while.

I'm on board

Picked up some after reading about it on this site. I've been using it for about a year and can't say whether or not it works. So far it doesn't seem to hurt anything and it does a good job of cleaning the 2-cycle oil out of the baby bottle I use to measure.
It might be overkill, but I also use Stabil in the mix.

Last edited:
For all you guys that worry about putting alcohol in your gas, Sea Foam is simply a mix of pale oil (very light weight oil similar to kerosene, Naptha (as found in coleman lantern fluid) and IPA - isopropal alcohol. You can mix your own for about $6 a gallon..

Which of these is dissolving true varnish? none...

I suspect the naptha aids ignition (low octane), the IPA takes any water out of the jets, and the pale oil just coats any surfaces that dry out (your mix oil already does this).

Fresh gas....

For all you guys that worry about putting alcohol in your gas, Sea Foam is simply a mix of pale oil (very light weight oil similar to kerosene, Naptha (as found in coleman lantern fluid) and IPA - isopropal alcohol. You can mix your own for about $6 a gallon..

Which of these is dissolving true varnish? none...

I suspect the naptha aids ignition (low octane), the IPA takes any water out of the jets, and the pale oil just coats any surfaces that dry out (your mix oil already does this).

Fresh gas....

LOL Andy, now your talking my language, I run IPA through me, never thought about putting it in my saws, I wonder if they'd run better.

I run IPA through me, never thought about putting it in my saws, I wonder if they'd run better.

They say hops are a natural preservative and can cause vivid dreams. Put a drop or two of hop oil in the tank and see what happens. The saw will probably last forever. If androids dream of electric sheep… what do chainsaws dream of???

Latest posts

Back