Need advice on new saw purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should be my next saw?

• Dolmar 5100s

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Husqvarna 346xp

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • Jonsered 2152c

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Stihl MS260

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I want you guys to help me pick out a new saw. 50cc pro.

Well, well, I'll help ya Bootsie.

You got any money? How much?

Ya ever run a saw before? Explain?

Got something in mind for this saw? Elaborate?

Any dealers nearby? State their location and your experience with them.

Close the polls,

Joat

Wildthing, no doubt!!

OH,,,,,,,,,You said PRO, not POS.

Sorry, my bad!

Buy a good brand from a good local dealer with a good reputation for service and parts.

I'm partial to the 346xp, but not knowing exactly what you need it for, I can't vote.

Yes, ^^^^^what the other guy said. Hit the dealers up and at least hold each one and better yet ask them to fire it up. You can tell alot from this and the right one will stand out from the rest. If that doesn't work, just buy one of each!

Last edited:
You've listed 2 tiers of relative performance. The 5100s and 346xp are the upper tier, and the 2152 and the MS260 the lower.

The Jred 2152 is most similar to the Husqvarna 353 and the 2153 to the 346xp.

The 5100 is the heaviest of the bunch, and the 260 the lightest.

I have the two Husqvarnas and a Stihl 026, but prefer the Husqvarnas.

If it were me choosing just one, with $ not a real factor, it would be the 346xp.

Need more info. I pick the MS260 because I have all Stihl's, and a 026 and love it. From what I heard the 346 is sweet, and if I had a good dealer around I would have considered that when I got one.

I have an Echo CS-370. It is what it is and for a 36.3 cc saw it is amazing. I bought it at a good local dealer. He also sells Shindaiwa, Stihl, and Husky. I bought the Echo on his recomendation. Bang for $. I recently aquired a Stihl 034 for a song. It is mint and runs like a champ but HEAVY. Husky and STihl are by far the best represented around here, but I like to be a little different. I was drawn to the Echo CS-530 for brand loyalty, but it is 100$ more that the Dolmar. I want a pro saw because of the better quality and performance. Not that the home owners saws are junk just not as good as the pro saws. I buy the best and it lasts. I have 30 acres of mixed wood I plan to harvest for fire wood. Small amounts at first, until I can get my hands on the rest of the adjoining land. That is my situation. Thanks for the input so far. Money is not really a concern, I will buy what I feel is the best value for my $.

I just got a used 346XP off of feebay and even though the compression is a little low it rips like crazy, puts my 350s to shame!

I have an Echo CS-370. It is what it is and for a 36.3 cc saw it is amazing. I bought it at a good local dealer. He also sells Shindaiwa, Stihl, and Husky. I bought the Echo on his recomendation. Bang for $. I recently aquired a Stihl 034 for a song. It is mint and runs like a champ but HEAVY. Husky and STihl are by far the best represented around here, but I like to be a little different. I was drawn to the Echo CS-530 for brand loyalty, but it is 100$ more that the Dolmar. I want a pro saw because of the better quality and performance. Not that the home owners saws are junk just not as good as the pro saws. I buy the best and it lasts. I have 30 acres of mixed wood I plan to harvest for fire wood. Small amounts at first, until I can get my hands on the rest of the adjoining land. That is my situation. Thanks for the input so far. Money is not really a concern, I will buy what I feel is the best value for my $.

If you just want to be different and like “bang for your buck” saws, check out a Redmax 5000.

Lets say money is an object-- I sold some of my stuff on Ebay and had enough money in my Paypal account to get a brand spankin' new 5100S on Ebay. No regrets. Then I used my own money to get a 372XPW (Univent).

I would suggest that you take a day and go for a ride around your local area to see what is available. If you understand the saw designs and have the tools to work on them, then you can buy airmail otherwise buy local. You may also want to consider that many of the John Deere Dealers are currently switching over to Stihl handheld power equipment from the Efco/Olympic brand. Because Stihl doesnt want any other maker in the showrom on this new venture, the Green Efco JD units got to go. You will find some very attractive pricing on the leftovers. John Deere isnt going anywhere and Im sure Efco isnt planing to either so service concerns and warranty's should be intact. Ask anyway it will give you something to talk about while your in the showroom checking things out.

Best wishes,
Bob

As someone said ealier, the Jonsered 2153 is similar to the Husky 346, but it would be my choice. (As you can see by my signature...)

Essentially the same power/weight as the Husky or Dolmar, but better ergonomics (unless you're SawTroll!) than either.

The 260 is the odd man out here. It doesn't have the power or the anti-vibe of the Jonsered/Husky/Dolmar, nor does it have the quality air filtration of them either.

Couple that with the price being equal to the Jred/Husky and higher than the Dolmar...it's a bit of a dinosaur in its class. Stihl has better offerings in other categories, but they've been passed in the 50cc market.

You've listed 2 tiers of relative performance. The 5100s and 346xp are the upper tier, and the 2152 and the MS260 the lower.

The Jred 2152 is most similar to the Husqvarna 353 and the 2153 to the 346xp.

The 5100 is the heaviest of the bunch, and the 260 the lightest.

If it were me choosing just one, with $ not a real factor, it would be the 346xp.

You got that right! :)

Latest posts

Back