Stihl chains vs. Husqvarna chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyMike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got a ton of cutting to do coming up when I get the proper permission slips signed, notorized and back from the G/F to do something fun.

Anyways, I have a stihl and husqvarna dealer close to me and was wondering who I should buy a back-up chain from.

Who makes a better chain? I will be cutting hardwoods. I am not opposed to Oregon or any other brand but want a good strong chain that will last cuz I am limited for time and can't stop so much for resharpen and stuff.

The chain I need is 18" 3/8 058 68dl.

Also, is there a better pitch, and DL thickness to run on the Husqvarna 460?

Thanks for any info!

husquvarna chain is made by oregon, and stihl makes their own chain in virginia beach. in my opinion stihl makes better chain, but like i said, that is just my opinoin. also, the stihl chain has really hard cutters that last in hardwood. get the rsc chain or if you are less experienced get the "green box" safety chain. if you get stihl chain.

Doesn't matter who's chain you buy if you don't keep it out of the dirt.

Other than that, if you are doing alot of dirty cutting go with round chain. Clean wood, I prefer Stihl RSC...but go with whichever shop you have a relationship with and is willing to cut you a better deal.

God help me for getting into this!!!

Ok, Stihl makes about the best chain out there. Stihl ES bars are about as good as you will ever own!! The GB titanium bars are about as good as it gets for second best.

Now, if you are serious, and really want the "best saw out there", you will put the 460 Husky down, go look at a Husky 346xp, 357xp, 372xp, a Stihl 260, 361, 441, or 460.But I doubt you are that serious.

Ok, Stihl makes about the best chain out there. Stihl ES bars are about as good as you will ever own!! The GB titanium bars are about as good as it gets for second best.

Now, if you are serious, and really want the "best saw out there", you will put the 460 Husky down, go look at a Husky 346xp, 357xp, 372xp, a Stihl 260, 361, 441, or 460.But I doubt you are that serious.

:yourock: :buttkick: :agree2:

Stihl chain is a lot harder on files. Given the choice I would go with the Husky chain!

The day Husky makes a chain then you could go there :jawdrop:

OK..........Oregon!!!

Mail order.......Oregon comes cheaper than Stihl too.

It all comes down to the dolt runnin' the saw. Some are grinder happy. In that case no chain stands a chance!

I would love any of those saws!! I am not looking for the best saw, maybe a better B&C combo for my 460.

Why would you doubt i am that serious? I like the best I can afford like anyone else. The 460 just fit the bill at the time.

Thanks for the info!

My favorite saw is my modded Husky 350, another one or two have an idea what it runs like. It's not a Pro, but will eat a lot of them for lunch!!

Look for the GB/Carlton chains. The GB "Pro-top" bars are about as good as you will get for a Husky small mount. I don't like them as much as the GB titaniums, but they don't make a small mount Titanium:cry:
Really the Husky chain isn't all that bad, but the bars leave much to be desired!!

OK..........Oregon!!!

Mail order.......Oregon comes cheaper than Stihl too.

It all comes down to the dolt runnin' the saw. Some are grinder happy. In that case no chain stands a chance!

Not in my shop :)

Mike,

Take it from a guy that cuts plenty of wood in a sandy(Think Beach with trees) area.

Oregon/Husky chain is OK but dulls faster than Stihl RSC.
Stihl RSC dulls faster by a good margin over Stihl RM/RMC.

Stihl RM does not cut as fast as RSC or Husky/Oregon untill the RSC or Husky chain has been in wood for a dozen cuts or so, then it is about even.From there the RM is faster cutting as the others just keep dulling.

If you are going to slip up now and then, and rock(Dirt) the chain, or be cutting dirty wood, or cutting wood with Ice/dirt on it, RM is the chain ya want. Try to keep the saw outta the dirt though.

Stihl chins eat files, but you'll use the files less often.
The better made Files last longer and are worth the extra coin.

Husky makes the better saw;), but hands down, no contest, Stihl Chains are the absolute best hard use chain out there. Husky does a LOT of things right, but Chains ain't one of 'em.

Make your Stihl dealer happy and tell him your putting them on a Husky.:D

Hope this helps!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The answer is obvious: if you "Got a ton of cutting to do coming up" get one of each and compare them side by side in similar cutting. Or if you have one now, buy the other for your 'back up' chain.

I like to have 3 chains for each saw, so that if one dulls, or hits a rock, I can swap them out and keep on cutting. Maybe do some touch-up in the field, but save the heavy sharpening for back home or at the shop where you have a bench, light, heat, grinder, etc.

18" loop is not that big of an investment, and both the STIHL and Oregon/Husky are good quality chains should last a long time, so you will be able to compare and make YOUR preference for your type of cutting, your saw, etc. (plus, you get to hang in in both stores!).

Philbert

Not even close...

The Stihl chain is the best out there... Hands down. I pretty much cut nothing but hardwood, mostly frozen this time of year... The Stihl chain will out last any other chain on the market, EXCEPT, the Oregon LGX. I've used the regular Husky chains, JUNK. The same goes for the standard Oregon. Maybe if your cutting trees that are super clean and not frozen the Oregons might be ok. However, for longevity and amount of time between filings, hands down the Stihl or Oregon LGX. I go with the LGX, it's about $8 a loop cheaper and is every bit as good. I've literally cuts hundreds of cords of wood with both. The other dude is right, they are hard as sh1t to sharpen at first, they are both hardened, WHICH MAKES THEM LAST!!!! 'nuff said

:cheers: eh?

Got a ton of cutting to do coming up when I get the proper permission slips signed, notorized and back from the G/F to do something fun.

Anyways, I have a stihl and husqvarna dealer close to me and was wondering who I should buy a back-up chain from.

Who makes a better chain? I will be cutting hardwoods. I am not opposed to Oregon or any other brand but want a good strong chain that will last cuz I am limited for time and can't stop so much for resharpen and stuff.

The chain I need is 18" 3/8 058 68dl.

Also, is there a better pitch, and DL thickness to run on the Husqvarna 460?

Thanks for any info!
your gonna have to sharpen any chain. that said, stihl makes the best but you don't wanna learn on it. theres better out there than oregon but its decent and much eaiser to file. if you can find chain with the angle mark on the top of the cutter it will help you .

I think your biggest problem has nothing to do with chains.

It's the fact that you need permission from your GF to cut wood.

But Stihl chain is by far the best for stay-sharp.

i run Husky saws but Stihl chain.

those Germans can really build something nice if it doesn't use an air filter.

Oh god...

those Germans can really build something nice if it doesn't use an air filter.

Here we go again... How's that 40 yr old Husky running? OH yea, thats right... There are no 40 yr old huskies running are there? hehehehehehe

:popcorn:

Back