Files Question for Newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bml

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What brand files do yall recommend for chain sharpening?? I know a lot of you say that the Husky files are crap. What makes one better than another??

Stihl files are good.. They're reasonable and they last a while. I've also bought some from Baileys but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

As for what makes one better than another, the only two variables that I can think of that make a difference is sharpness, and longevity.

They're cheap, it won't cost too much to try a few brands and draw your own conclusion.

I've never used a "bad" file, except one that was used and worn out before I tried it. :)

Save Edge

A site sponsor and you can order directly from them. Although I've just started using them recently, they work well.

Fortunately one of the local shops also carries them so I can always drop by under the excuse I need a new file or two.

Last edited:
They no longer "bite" and it doesn't remove the tiny chips of metal while you stroke the cutter.:D So if you don't feel any resistance while filing, as the file isn't taking metal off, replace the file or turn it slighty to get a "new" area on the file.

I was gonna ask that one next. How do you know when it's time to trash them???

If you've used a new one, you'll know when to toss one. If you're not sure, grab a new one for comparison. Should have that nice "ripping/tearing" feel and sound, not a vibration.

I have used the husky files and sthil, thought they were both good! I am now using the baileys files they are good too but I dont think they last any longer maybe even a little faster to dull than the other two. The main thing is like the other guys said if its not cutting good trash it!

I have found that the pferd files seem to cut faster than stihl but the stihl files leave a smoother edge and seem to last longer. Only my opinion though.:biggrinbounce2:

I was gonna ask that one next. How do you know when it's time to trash them???

You can sharpen files a couple of times. The force required to 'bite' goes up with each sharpening , then toss them.

I have found that the pferd files seem to cut faster than stihl but the stihl files leave a smoother edge and seem to last longer. Only my opinion though.:biggrinbounce2:

Get your self a couple Nickelson 'fine' round files the size to fit your chain.

When you dress the edge back to sharp , make a couple passes each cutter with the 'fine' file if your in some good clean wood. Makes a difference!

You can sharpen files...but for chainsaw files (cheap files) it's not worth it.

Save Edge, Pferd, Stihl, Nicholson are safe purchases.

(Not used Nicholson's chainsaw files but their "other" files are a good quality/price)

Save-Edge is a sponsor here and gets great reviews

Pferds are carried by Bailey's, a sponsor here and get great reviews

Stihls are good files...they, I know by comparison, beat Oregon and every other no-name file I've used, but I've not ordered Save-Edges or Pferds yet.

Back