Another 038 super to magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well now I've had a little bit of time to do some of the conversion. I used a super gasket as a template and marked the holes in the magnum jug (thanks Brad). I found a stihl 5.2mm file was a perfect fit on the holes, and after a minute or two (no more) on each hole, had them slotted just right. I did a quick fit up on the case and everything's sweet - piston moves fine with the rob as central as I could make out. I only had to grind the head of one bolt down slightly - the others were just ok - they seat perfectly flat.

So now I need to mod the muffler, wait for new parts to come (cranks seals, carb kit, OEM rings), and the I'll be sending the chips flying! How does 260mm^2 sound for the total muff port area?

I'll continue the progress report as I make it...

DSC02102.jpg

DSC02103.jpg

DSC02104.jpg

One's german and one is irish, which would you assume was better built?
The rule followers or the drunks?!

Seriously though, I don't know why the Bing is sought after more, it just is!

One's german and one is irish, which would you assume was better built?
The rule followers or the drunks?!

Seriously though, I don't know why the Bing is sought after more, it just is!
ha ha well I won't comment then! Altho I thought some tillys were made in USA? Either way, I don't think I'm going to go out and buy a bing if the tilly works

ha ha well I won't comment then! Altho I thought some tillys were made in USA? Either way, I don't think I'm going to go out and buy a bing if the tilly works

I tried both on one of my conversions with DP muffler opened up a bit, did not notice a difference. Both seem to have the same size throats. I'm at ca. 1000ft/300m elevation and both ran the best with factory carb adjustments ( +1 each). This is with 50:1 mix (av gas), 20" bar w/RSC.

I don't have a tach so I tune with the bar in a buried cut of hardwood.

Last edited:
ok, so an update - the parts arrived from Stihl and made some progress this weekend...

04042009086.jpg

Cleaned the crankcase and fitted the piston and new OEM rings

04042009088.jpg

Jug - no worries. The minimal filing and only grinding one bolt head was enough

04042009089.jpg

handle/tank etc.

04042009098.jpg

modded the muffler - one hole of 18mm giving a hole of 254mm^2 - ~82% of exhaust port. Welded up the old port and drilled the new one with one of those tapered sheet metal cutters

04042009100.jpg

Welded some oversize pipe for exaust clearence/direction
04042009102.jpg

04042009104.jpg

04042009099.jpg

and oh boy does she run great! And sound it. Cut some wood today - 30" B&C (36RSC) full comp. Had it burried in dead beech and it didn't feel overloaded at all (althoguh it will ware 20" normally). It's tuned rich, may lean a little once the rings are seated. Not sure on the compression cos my gauge is rooted, but it feels damn good. Thanks for the P&C Brad.

Need a new handle now (it's bent), labels, rim sprocket set up (want 8T for 20"), but it's a start!

Nice rebuild Harry, the 30" is a bit much though!
Glad to see you got the saw you always wanted, now find an 090! :chainsaw:

now find an 090! :chainsaw:

...and send it to me:greenchainsaw:

No, send it to me, shipping would be considerably less! ;) :laugh:

I find a wire brush on 4" grinder to be a great job on removing rust from the exhaust, I hit it afterwards with BBQ or Woodstove Plastikote as they leave a nice finish and can easily withstand the heat. (Mind the fingers when using the grinder though, you'd hardly believe the amount of skin it can remove with just the slightest of touches!)

Nice rebuild Harry, the 30" is a bit much though!
Glad to see you got the saw you always wanted, now find an 090! :chainsaw:
Thanks - it's early days, but seeming good now. I'm very pleased with how it's running. I know the 30" is a bit much, but it really did scream through 30 dead beech. Which suprised me, because evrything I'd heard suggested 28" is absolutly max, and even then it doesn't like it. Not what I found... Although, I guess the knackered RSC may have been to blame. Grind some semi-chisel ripping chain back to 30* so will be using it now.

Working on the 090 ;)
no leads yet though... It may be via an 070 though!
Excellent. Glad to see you finally got her running.
Yeah, thanks for the P&C - compression is excellent with the new OEM rings. Rest of it isn't wuite up to your perfect standards, but it's not so clean already and it's going to be put to work!
No, send it to me, shipping would be considerably less! ;) :laugh:

I find a wire brush on 4" grinder to be a great job on removing rust from the exhaust, I hit it afterwards with BBQ or Woodstove Plastikote as they leave a nice finish and can easily withstand the heat. (Mind the fingers when using the grinder though, you'd hardly believe the amount of skin it can remove with just the slightest of touches!)
Yeah I've got one - and have a lot of respect for it! Luckily not learnt the hard way. Wasn't planning on painting it, mainly because it's just going to work. But it would look nice painted - how long does it last?
I just found Rustoleum's Ultra high temp paint. It has a very nice lustre to it, almost glossy.
Is it available in the UK?

Yeah I've got one - and have a lot of respect for it! Luckily not learnt the hard way. Wasn't planning on painting it, mainly because it's just going to work. But it would look nice painted - how long does it last?

I put on 5 or 6 coats on the outside and it stands years of abuse, the oily soot will take care of the inside for you, both paints are available in B&Q.

I put on 5 or 6 coats on the outside and it stands years of abuse, the oily soot will take care of the inside for you, both paints are available in B&Q.

what primer do you use?

had a bit of fun today... How in tune does it sound? It feels ok at 30", but I'll concede it'd be happier with a bit less wood!
oh yeah - the camera (phone) fell over after about a minute
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2W1Xjh0S9w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2W1Xjh0S9w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

No primer, just well cleaned with the grinder/drill brushes and about 45 min between coats, suspended bake over the oil fired boiler for a few days.

Sounds well, are you feeling the need to buy a dremel for a few mods yet?

No primer, just well cleaned with the grinder/drill brushes and about 45 min between coats, suspended bake over the oil fired boiler for a few days.

Sounds well, are you feeling the need to buy a dremel for a few mods yet?
hmm, sounds easy. Might give it a go... Mods are now seeming temtping - would a die grinder be as good? Looks like you can get a metabo one for less than a dremel...
And clear your PMs Harry!
Clear!

hmm, sounds easy. Might give it a go... Mods are now seeming temtping - would a die grinder be as good? Looks like you can get a metabo one for less than a dremel...

Clear!

For porting, a die grinder may be a little big for the job, ideally a dentist's drill and tool set would be best for those "hard to reach" ports.

Harry,

You going to have a go at porting next?

Carl
Not at the moment - I now have a a good running 3 saw plan, and don't feel the NEED - yet...
I'm also totally green to porting, I'd have to start reseaching for a while!
For porting, a die grinder may be a little big for the job, ideally a dentist's drill and tool set would be best for those "hard to reach" ports.
Is that realistic - can you get them?

Latest posts

Back