Recomend me a file guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewchief

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need some recommendations for a decent file guide, as a newbie filer I think a guide would help me out a lot, I freehand now but think I screw the angles up more than I should. I have only run full chisel but I think I'm going to pick up a loop or two of semi to try, I seem to get the bar in the dirt more than I should.

Need some recommendations for a decent file guide, as a newbie filer I think a guide would help me out a lot, I freehand now but think I screw the angles up more than I should. I have only run full chisel but I think I'm going to pick up a loop or two of semi to try, I seem to get the bar in the dirt more than I should.

Granberg File N Joint from Baileys website. 30$, I love mine.

Combi guide roller file. Comes in husky or Jonserds filing kit.

+1 it will make an expert out of you in no time!
attachment.php

Combi guide roller file. Comes in husky or Jonserds filing kit. $10 . I threw my Granberg away.

Any issues using these on stihl chains? I've got some stihl chains and several random others (total?, maybe an oregon?) I've got a 2159 but the stihl dealer is much, much better so I end up running the stihl chains.

I think they have a problem fitting on some of the stihl chains, if I remember right, they said you can either file or bend the ends a little and get them to fit,,,, Johnny or grandpa hopefully will check back in and let you know for sure.
I haven't picked one up yet, but they showed them to me at a GTG last weekend. Johnny filed my 32" full comp chain in less than 10 minutes with it.
Good luck

Any issues using these on stihl chains? I've got some stihl chains and several random others (total?, maybe an oregon?) I've got a 2159 but the stihl dealer is much, much better so I end up running the stihl chains.

Sawtroll uses his on stihl rsc chain I believe. I had a well used guide and it fit right on some stihl chain. Just may have to widen a bit to make it fit on a new one.

It was in bad shape. Had MANY miles on it already. And a lot of BS going on. I didn't realy time him, I didn't care if it took him an hour, or 30 seconds it cut like a banshee when he was done.........:cheers:

very understandable then. nuthen worse then a crappy chain. I have never used a guide no need for them. ......Gramps let me know if ya all have another GTG your way in the future, I am not to very far from ya all 3 hrs maybe 4. I'm sure ya would all love to have a yooper at your GTG..........maybe not though, eh:)

very understandable then. nuthen worse then a crappy chain. I have never used a guide no need for them. ......Gramps let me know if ya all have another GTG your way in the future, I am not to very far from ya all 3 hrs maybe 4. I'm sure ya would all love to have a yooper at your GTG..........maybe not though, eh:)
Hey, everybody is welcome. We even let a guy from Iowa come to the GTG:jawdrop:

I got to thinkin. Some guys come to the GTG to learn, but also have some fun.
I learn something each time we all cut together. Something new comes along and I am always willing to see if it works better than the old way. Right now these little gadgets work wonders to keep your angles where they need to be.:cheers:

Guides

I've got one of these that's about 30yrs old. All aluminum. Best file guide I've ever gotten my hands on hands down. Sorry if its not from a store on the site... It's the only place I could find them...

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/32-4246.html?id=iYCB7UYz

They keep your filing on the teeth at the correct height all the time so your never too low or high... You just file straight back...

:cheers: eh?

Well I picked up a stihl kit and one of the husky roller guides, haven't used the stihl guide yet but the roller guide works very nice, had my 2159 cutting great right up to the moment I found some barbed wire, might take a little bit to get it back in shape now.

Latest posts

Back