Recomend me a file guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the Carlton File-O-Plate for years and really like it for any chain it will fit. I have several other types as well, like the one shown by cisco for some chain that the File-O-Plate or other guides won't fit, like the 1/2" pitch chain.

I picked up the roller guide at the GTG last weekend but have not tried it out yet.

Hey, was there another guy from Iowa there, rats, wish I had met him...

Mark

The regular old plain Oregon Guide works well, if you are new to sharpening a chain. It's main purpose I think is to hold the file at the right depth, angles are marked on it but it wont hold a steady angle for you that is up to you.
Once you get used to using it you will be free handing in no time with out the guide. I have never used a Granberg but can see that it might be good for setting everything perfect?
As long as you take care of your rakers every now and then say after three filings don't worry to much about the angles on round chain. You will soon get a feel for what works well for you.
Chain manufactures have instructions on there web sites as how to sharpen a specific type of chain. Follow them and you really cant go wrong!

more important than which file guide as everyone has a favorite file holder. some like file alone. what ever...

learning your angles is the most important step. best way is to use a Granberg File N Joint. it's best to start out with a jig, so you can see exact angles needed to make a perfect cut.

best to clamp your chainsaw by the bar in a large vise. tighten chain to take out all slop. then get a proper light with a jeweler's magnifier.

you must be able to see what you are doing. Use only Stihl files to start with. they are the best. experiment with other files later.

usually it shouldn't take more than 2-3 strokes to clean up a tooth. unless it's been rocked. file one side, then flip saw for other side.

once you get proficient... it take 3-4 minutes to touch up a chain.

Latest posts

Back