Any interest in a "big saw" case?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
After getting a big boy's saw, and finding out that none of the cases on the market would fit it, I decided to take up the cause. I work in a metal fab shop, so the obvious choice was metal. Specifically, .100" aluminum for good strength and light weight.

At the local GTG, I measured a bunch of saws, and promptly lost the sheet with all my measurements, but relying on memory, drew up a design that should fit nearly anything out there, and has an adjustable bar opening for use with gear drive or full wrap saws. It will be a powerhead only cover, including a chain cover would have made for a ton more engineering and variations (read $$$).

The box will fit anything up to 21" long, 13 3/4" high, and 14" wide as I have it laid out, with a bar offset from 1" to 6" from the side of the saw. Is there anything in your arsenal you can't stuff in there?

Anyway, I got the quote back from the boss last night on the fab work, and put a pencil down on my parts and time to install hardware today. It is higher than I hoped for, but may be feasible - so this is the feeler thread - lemme know what you think, and why, there will be no hurt feelings here.

Cost goes down as production goes up, due to time to set up for a job being spread out. To make just one, will be $275, for a run of 5, $175, and $150 for a run of 20. This is selling price, not including shipping.

I fully expect a couple of "how soon can I get it" and a bunch of "are you flippin insane?" responses, so lemme have it If there is enough interest, I'll get at least a prototype made and pictures up for the "what the heck does it look like" crowd.

Steve

Steve,

I appreciate your efforts and initiative, and would like to get some cases for our 660's, but those prices are far above what we could pay. Would be hard to justify over $50 for a case, even though I am sure that yours would be very well designed and made. Will probably go with plywood.

Thanks.

Philbert

I don't think I'd give that much for a case either.
But I love to have a rack that allowed me to hang a few saws and carry a load of firewood.

Something like a headacke rack you see on flat bed trucks that kept your saws with the bars facing down would be cool. That way you had a way to carry your saws and protection for your back window. Put a way to lock the saws on the rack and I'd buy one.

I don't think I'd give that much for a case either.
But I love to have a rack that allowed me to hang a few saws and carry a load of firewood.

Something like a headacke rack you see on flat bed trucks that kept your saws with the bars facing down would be cool. That way you had a way to carry your saws and protection for your back window. Put a way to lock the saws on the rack and I'd buy one.

Got the rack all figured out, just will need to come up with some saw holders!
attachment.php

Maybe change the logo to Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, etc. Only problem I see is there is no room left to hang the saws once it's loaded with wood.

the big case idea does interest me, but like mentioned earlier it would be hard to justify that much money for a case, thats money down on another saw. i do like your thinking though.

Got the rack all figured out, just will need to come up with some saw holders!
attachment.php

Maybe change the logo to Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, etc. Only problem I see is there is no room left to hang the saws once it's loaded with wood.

You could screw a 1 x 2 board arcoss the top and the same along the bottom with about a half inch gap. Then slide you bars down though the top and bottom boards.
You could drill a some holes so you can run bike lock cable though the chainsaw handles and the drilled holes.

Back