Oregon sharpener and Stihl chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packfan

Reaction score
I just bought a new Stihl 390 and had the dealer put an 18in bar on it. I was able to determine by going on Stihl's website that the chain was a RSC3. I went back and talked to the dealer about the angles to use to sharpen the chain, well they use a Stihl USG that has a different adjustment then the Oregon 511A that I have. Would 30deg top plate angle and 60 degree side plate sound right with the vise angle at 90 deg? With the Oregon sharpener you can tilt the vise 10 degrees both ways so that confused me alittle.

I use the 10 degree tilt on the RS chains, Stihl grinders don't have that feature, so they say that it is not needed. I use the reverse motor, they
don't have that either, and say it is not needed.

I use the 10 degree tilt on the RS chains, Stihl grinders don't have that feature, so they say that it is not needed. I use the reverse motor, they
don't have that either, and say it is not needed.
Do you think the angles I'm using are ok or do you use something different. I'll also try the 10 degree tilt.

I have a 109179 oregon grinder I set the tilt at 60 on the head and 30 for the side plate and 10 for the left and right cutters. the grinder is new to me but almost the same as a 511 except for the hydraulic clamp

Latest posts

Back