018C shutoff problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan F

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have a Stihl 018C at work that we are having problems with when we go to shut it off...

Pardon my lack of knowledge on proper terminology, but I'll try as best as I can....

What happens is when you attempt to push the switch up, into the kill/off position, the grounding arm won't slip up onto the kill wire. Instead, when you push up on the switch, the switch shaft comes out of its brackets and renders itself useless...

In order to shut the saw off, the air cleaner housing has to be taken off, the shaft has to be put back into its bracket, and a knife or something thin has to be used to pry/persuade the grounding arm up onto the kill wire.

I don't know if the grounding arm is bent at the wrong angle, or if the switch was molded wrong or what, but it's annoying at the least, and slightly dangerous too, since it takes two people to shut it off (yes, the chain is braked!).

Any ideas? Is there any recalls on this maybe? We haven't taken it to the dealer yet, we don't use the saw that much. The saw was bought about two years ago this winter, if that helps...

TIA!!!

Dan

The arm needs to be bent. I used to have one of these saws (bought it for my wife, thought if she liked chainsaws I could buy more) and I had the same problem. I had to bend the little arm a taste and it started working properly again.

Dan
Aside from the obvious issue at hand, how do you like that saw? Has it been used much? I`m wondering how durable they are? I`ve been thinking about getting one for my son but don`t want to buy anything that is on par with the 017.

Russ

Aside from the obvious issue at hand, how do you like that saw? Has it been used much?

I have not used it that much and I don't think it was used much before I started, but it seems to be a pretty good saw for its size. We are a landscape company, not in the tree business, so it doesn't get used much. It has been in the back of the truck most of the summer, bouncing around, getting things tossed on it, rained on, etc., and it didn't fail to start yesterday.

The only thing I'm still not sold on is the chain tensioner. I'm used to turning a screw head to tighten the chain insted of a knob. And the knob is pretty sensitive too. I do like the screw-off handle of the cover plate; very handy, requiring no tools.

For an everyday use saw, I'd probably go with something different, but for an occasional use saw, I think it's more than adequate. I'm not familiar with the problems of the 017, so I can't speak to that....

Dan

It is a common problem, which betrays the fact the saw is pure junk.

The cure requires more labor and parts than the junk saw is worth, so the dealer should be going to bat for you with Stihl.

If they do not cure the problem, e-mail me direct, and I will
confront Stihl at the expo next month.

They need to be taken to task for marketing junk!

Which is my mission, in this year of 2003, in the year of our Lord.

Originally posted by Fish
It is a common problem, which betrays the fact the saw is pure junk.
What problem are you talking about exactly? The shut-off or my not being sold on the chain tensioner? I assume you mean the shut-off?

the dealer should be going to bat for you with Stihl.

What exactly should they do for us, replace the parts? For free? I doubt they would do that, the little I have dealt with our local (small town, mom and pop) dealer. From what I can tell, they are more concerned with bottom line than service, but I could be surprised...

They need to be taken to task for marketing junk!

I really haven't ever had a problem with Stihl saws, but then again, I haven't used them every day for a living either. The company I used to work for had 2 026's and one 028. All three had been well abused before I got there and the 028 crapped out while I was there, lost compression. One 026 was fine, the other needed part of the housing replaced, would have cost more in parts and labor than the saw was worth, though it ran fine...

Except for the shut-off problem, I don't have any real major complaints about the 018. I just can't figure out how the saw got onto the market with such an obvious design flaw....:confused:

Dan

switch

I made my own fix for this. It uses a small strip of tin and a small screw. I form the tin around the bracket that holds the shaft and secure it with the screw. Works on 029 also.

What happens with the Stihl switches, is that some woodtick forced the switch without closing the saftey catch on the rear handle, thus foobaring the whole kettle of Fish.
John

The "master" throttle control pops out of the plastic nubs that hold it in place, and there is no easy remedy other that one should
replace everything involved, which approaches the value of the saw!

AT which point is it to scream at the top of my lungs the word
"JUNK!???

These tiny Stihls just scream the word junk.

I may be mistaken, forgive me if I am.

Replace it with what? Wouldn't new parts be the exact same as the old? Or has the design been changed to remedy the problem and that is what the dealer should go to bat for us for?

Dan

Take off the air cleaner cover, observe the action of the switch as you move it up and down. You will see the little steel strip is not touching the end of the wire. Use a needle nose pliers to lightly bend the steel strip back to its' normal position.
If this fix takes more than 3 minutes, take the palm off your hand and slap your forehead, while saying "Doh!".
If the problem persists, get a 59 cent toggle switch from the hardware store and mount it on the saw. You will need a drill, a bit, and some wire. If this take longer than ten minutes...

Hi Kneejerk Bombas, interesting name. Also wanted to welcome you to AS, didn`t notice anyone else doing so in the climbers forum when you showed up.

Your idea of tweaking the metallic strip is common sense, but have you actually tried adding a toggle switch to a Stihl? The way the air filter cover interfaces with the Master Lever, meaning the cover must be detachable, and the apparent lack of space elsewhere makes it look like it would be difficult? If feasable it would be a good fix for alot of homewowner Stihls with broken switches.

DanF, doesn`t the 018 have a switch protruding through the top of the rear handle? That switch is a mechanical throttle stop to prevent inadvertant actuation of the throttle if you aren`t holding the saw properly and it is also a mechanical interlock preventing inadvertant placement of the saw in the choke or hi idle position on current Stihls.

The problem as I see it is this: The interlock between the master control lever and the throttle is not understood by the operator. To get off the high idle stop a blip of the throttle is required, force this a few times and the plastic that the lever sits in loses tension.

Yes, the safety catch is there, I am well aware of what it is for. I just didn't realize that's what it was called, in my mind, for some reason, I was envisioning a much more complex switch of some sort....

Kneejerk- I fully intend to bend the grounding strap, unless a new design has come out that will fix the problem. Something that we can take it to the dealer and b*tch at them for.:)

Kinda funny though, I don't remember the problem that we are having being a problem the first few times I ran the saw. It's just something that I think has come about the last several times I've used it.

I'm guessing that the saw probably doesn't have even 4-5 hours of use on it, if it does, it's not much over that.... I know for a fact that the chain has NOT been sharpened since the saw was new, and the chain still cuts pretty decently.

Dan

I agree Brian! I have not sharpened it, and I am fairly certain my boss has not had it sharpened. It still cuts fine though, 'cept for maybe a tooth or two that I nicked on the metal gate of the trailer on Thursday.... Trying to make stakes more pointed, and wasn't paying as much attention to the tip as I should have been!:mad:

Like I said, the 4-5 hours is purely a guess. It's probably like 2-3 hours, the most it was used at any one time was for ~30 minutes in the middle of last winter. And most of all of the use on it has been to cut a limb here or there, maybe once a month on average.... Heck, I don't think any of the paint on the bar has worn off yet!

Which is why the shut-off problem is so annoying!!! I'll have to try and fix it tomorrow, it's supposed to be raining.........

Dan

When the switch is flipped up, it pops out of the plastic "hinge"
on the left side, and has nothing to do with the metal ground
strap, as replacing that as well as the plastic throttle control
is often fruitless as well. I have tried a layer of jb weld to hold the
darn thing in its hinge area with occaisional success, but the problem still boldly screams the word "junk".

Back