018C shutoff problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has nothing to do with the metal ground strap
That's where you are wrong! It has everything to do with that strap! It's the strap that won't allow the switch to go up into the "off" position, due to the bad design.

Which is why I will bend the stupid thing today. It's raining, and I'm sure we will be looking for stuff to do....

Thanks everyone!

Dan

I always enjoy being "wrong". I am not a real big Echo fan either
so we cannot go far in that direction either.
If I call it junk, convince me it is not!

can we get some pics of what you guys are talking about. I am tryin to fix my gramps 018c which will not shut off ethier! I am about to run over it with bulldozer! I have noticed if I pull the bottom wire/rod out at the bottom it will ground, but as soon as i give it throttle it goes back in! Its a b!tchin little saw except for the shut off! I don't understand why the hell there was not a recall for these units! If someone could hook me up with some pics of the fix I'd greatly appreciate it!

fix

It CAN be fixed.
Either the small metel strip, adjust the metal spring, or bend the plastic retainer on the tank after heating with a heat gun. Have not had an unrepairable one yet.
017, never fond of. 018 was twice the saw in my opinion. That little extra power made all the difference.

Is it possible I f@#kerd it up when I removed the aircleaner cover? it came off rough cause the choke/on/off lever got hung up! As far as I can tell nothing is broke. OH yeah when I took the aircleaner cover off there was no air cleaner element! My gramps said that cover has never been off the thing, so I thought I'd check to see if it needed a cleaning! Is this a stihl thing? confuzzed me!

Had you asked a month-and-a-half ago, I might have been able to get pics... About a month ago, I left the company that had the 018....

IIRC, I was able to bend the metal grounding strap slightly, but I don't remember how much or where, etc. I think I used a pair of needlenose pliers (or two) to accomplish this.

I don't remember exactly how the whole thing was set up, so I won't be able to tell you much more. Basically just look at it a little bit to figure out where the grounding strap needs to be bent, then bend it. I may have had to take the strap out to bend it, but don't remember for sure.

HTH.

Dan

well guys thanks anyways for the help, I'll get it figured out! Can anyone tell what model replaced the 018c? +whats the difference b/t 018c & 018?

Don't know what if any difference there is between the 018 and 018C. I believe when Stihl went to the MS series, the only difference in the names was the "0" was moved to the back of the number. Thus, the 018 became a MS180, an 026 became an MS 260, and so on... The 018C may have been a later version of the 018 but I don't know if it was purely name changes or if there was minor differences. Someone with more knowledge on the subject will have to clue you in on that.

Dan

Back