020 super electronic not running anymore. What now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Nennstiel

Reaction score
I was given this saw a couple years ago. I got it running. It seemed good enough to invest some money in it. Went and bought new bar and chain. Then it quit, before I even made a cut. Took it to a nearby shop. They kept it for about a month and said “we don’t know what’s wrong, we really don’t work on stuff like this, and we can’t get parts for it”. I have not thought about it anymore until now. I have been volunteering the last couple weekends over in Marianna, Florida, cutting debris. They got hit hard by hurricane Michael. I have been using my other saw (029 super). It has worked like a champ. Tooling around the garage I found the little T handle saw and I thought that I might try to get it going again. Is there someone that still works on these that I could send it to? Is it possible for me to still get parts so that I can work on it? I believe that a wire or something electronic went out in it. It was running great then it just didn’t do anything anymore. No spark. Please reply if you have some direction.

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• 6F3F73A6-673A-473F-953A-442EEE91CCB4.jpeg
    6F3F73A6-673A-473F-953A-442EEE91CCB4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
I did just go and check it again and there was spark. Thanks for the encouragement to go diagnose it again. I didn’t remember there being spark a couple years ago. I put fresh gas and it started for a few seconds and quit. Good sign. It is definitely shorting out through a break in the spark plug wire. I could see the little sparks between the case and wire while it was running. I stuck some rubber in there to stop the short. But the thing will barely start now. It ran for 15-20 seconds. It was only idling well. When I gave it throttle it ran poorly. Could have some carb issues besides the wire. I will check eBay for the ignition wire. Then go from there.

Latest posts

Back