Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Super

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if i change my 021 from a mini chain to a 325 pitch and keep with a 16in bar well it change the hp and will i have to reset the crab?

The chain cannot change the saw's horsepower output, only the engine parts can do that. The chain only takes the power delivered through the clutch from the engine, and uses it to cut wood. Too large of a chain, will require too much power to turn it, and will slow cutting.

I haven't personally tried that combo, but .325 seems like it might be a bit big for a saw the size of an 021, and might bog it down. Others with more experience running .325 and small saws can provide better advice. I've never run .325 chain, or a saw smaller than 50 cc's, so I haven't got personal experience to go on.

If you want to try .325 on such a small saw, make sure that you try the narrow kerf (NK) variety. Such a setup is not available from Stihl, but Baileys sell both Oregon and Carlton bars & chain, and should be able to set you up.

.325 NK will put more cutters in the wood than the original 3/8" lo-pro on your saw, and require more power to cut decent, so it may not be a good idea anyway on a 210, contrary to on a 250.
When the power is sufficient, the .325 will cut faster though.

If you stay with 3/8 lo-pro, try 63PM or Oregon 91 VS or V.
Stay away from 63PM1 and 91 VG, with the big safety tie straps.

The 025 and MS260 cut great with .325 full chisel, but they have a few more CCs of power...the 021 may or may not have enough power to haul it. I would say it's proabbly worth a try though. You just need to get a .325 rim and drum system, that way if you try the .325 and it's not enough saw to pull it you can just change the rim and be back to 3/8 picco(I'm pretty sure 3/8" LP rims can be had if not somebody correct me) and the .325 bar on the MS mount(you could sell on ebay or keep for the bigger wood).

Stihl Super said:
Can anyone tell me if i change my 021 from a mini chain to a 325 pitch and keep with a 16in bar well it change the hp and will i have to reset the crab?

Thats a costly change over for very little, if any gain. The sprocket and bar will have to be change to .325 pitch as well. Get the 63PM chain if your using 63PM1 chain. That will speed it up a tad.

i know its a big change and will cost alot of money maybe i need a bigger saw maybe i dont know but i have a 034 super good saw and a ms 170 would that be my best bet thinking about a ms 250 if i could trade the 021 in on it

Stihl Super said:
i know its a big change and will cost alot of money maybe i need a bigger saw maybe i dont know but i have a 034 super good saw and a ms 170 would that be my best bet thinking about a ms 250 if i could trade the 021 in on it

Yes, the 025 would be a good choice for you... If you're 021 is in decent shape, wouldn't cost all that much more.

Stihl Super said:
i know its a big change and will cost alot of money maybe i need a bigger saw maybe i dont know

The 021 is a good saw for what it is but it sounds like your needing something bigger to please your need for speed and power. There's all makes and models out there that will fill the bill...

my stihl dealer told me today about a 250 they got back and said that they would give a 10% discount and still have full warranty they sold the saw and the guy that bought and paid by check and the check came back cold and they called the guy an he brouht the saw back had not been used.

Stihl Super said:
my stihl dealer told me today about a 250 they got back and said that they would give a 10% discount and still have full warranty they sold the saw and the guy that bought and paid by check and the check came back cold and they called the guy an he brouht the saw back had not been used.

Offer him 50.00 off list price cause he probly charged the guy a 25.-30. bad check fee anyway, he'll take it..

he said today 25 dollors off list price but was also thinking about trading the 021 in on it to

Stihl Super said:
he said today 25 dollors off list price but was also thinking about trading the 021 in on it to

Awwwwwww see there, he probly did charge the other guy a 25.00 bad check fee. Your 021 in real good condition, I mean real good should getcha about 100.--125. cause he's gonna sell it for 150.-175 at most. Used saws don't bring a bunch. That 025/MS250 is alot more powerfull than that 021 so it sounds like its what your wanting so I'd get it. Its got the .325 setup your wanting too so I'd get it...

going to talk to him if he wont give me 100 bucks for the 21 i geuss i will have to keep the saw but it is in real good shape still has bar code on front of the oil tank nothing broke

Stihl Super said:
going to talk to him if he wont give me 100 bucks for the 21 i geuss i will have to keep the saw but it is in real good shape still has bar code on front of the oil tank nothing broke

Well if he won't just say ok and keep it for most any dealer will if its in good shape. Its too good a trim saw for small stuff to take less than a 100 bucks for it...........

yea if he dont i will just keep the saw but dont need to buy anymore because i have 3 021,034 super and a ms 170 but i bought all 3 saws from him and they do all my repair work maybe he will cut me a deal

Stihl Super said:
yea if he dont i will just keep the saw but dont need to buy anymore because i have 3 021,034 super and a ms 170 but i bought all 3 saws from him and they do all my repair work maybe he will cut me a deal

Sounds like your a good customer of his so he should and most likely will treat ya right..

ebay it!

I would keep the 021 and sell it on ebay. yeah it's a pain but you'll get way more for that saw than froma dealer. I would say you'll get between 1 and 2 greenbacks for it on evilbay.
J.D.

I agree that you would be better off with the 250. However to answer your other question if you went to .325 chain you then have the option of a full chisel chain which is more efficient also you can adjust how much the chain bites with your rakers. Now when you consider a bar is 20-30 bucks the chain will be 15ish, then you have 15-40 bucks for the sprocket. By the time you invest this money and what you could sell the saw for on ebay. you've bought the 250 set up with the .325 16" chain with much more power.

Lucky

Stihl Super said:
Seems like a good idea!
I never understood why people bought the 210s and 230s anyway, when the 250 weights the same with more power, and it is not that much more money.

It is a pity that Stihl doesn't offer the .325 NK set-ups, as it is probably the ideal one for the 250.

Back