024/026 PRO Frankenstein oiler problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavhooah

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Over the past week Ive been working on putting a few saws together to make one AWESOME saw.... at least in my eyes...lol.

Heres the rundown,
026 PRO crankcase, crank and oiler
024 piston and jug

Just got everything together today after work and figured it would be a good time to fire it up, check for leaks....and put it in a little oak out back for a good shakedown. Filled gas and oil, checked for leaks..... none.

Fired it up and adjusted the carb....sounds good ! I always liked the supers (Ive had three now).

At assembly (complete teardown except splitting the cases) I turned the oil pump all the way up. Now I notice its REALLY putting out the oil ! While the saw is running, it drips off the front of the cover. I open the cover and notice its everywhere... I dont know how much to expect from a PRO pump turned all the way up.

I take the bar and chain off and fire the saw up while looking at the oil output tube. It pumping alot.... so I flip the saw upside down and turn the oiler all the way down.

I cant see any difference of output from all the way up...to all the way down.

One last equation... and perhaps the culprit. The side cover I used was from a long dead front adjusting 026. I drilled the hole in the cover to get to my side tensioner now, but noticed I had to add two washers under the bar nuts to get it to suck up. I wonder if the differences between the two side covers is causing a leakage around my bar mount...and not offering any restriction to my pump ?

Any ideas fellas ? Im in the dark with these adjustable pumps and new style 026's ?

How is the oil hole in the bar match to the saw? Washers you stated shouldnt be a issue. Got any picutures?

oil leaking out the side is common, especially if your bar is shorter. My 026 has the pro oiler and it oils heavy, drips on the ground after it's been run awhile. Check to make sure the oil hole in the bar is not plugged/clogged up. Bar nuts with washers is ok. The main thing is to make sure the inside bar plate is not blocking the oil hole and it's making it to the bar. A little oil makes a mess but at least its oiling.

Found the problem.

I was trying to use a cover with the plastic chain guides. Oil was flowing right through the side of the bar oiling hole, and then out the other and into the casting channels of the cover.

I dug out another cover with a metal outer guid plate....... just doesnt have the hole for the side tensioner..... Looks like Im off the e-gay to make another purchase.

024 top-end (for the 2mm shorter stroke!) on a 026 bottom??
Are you sure??

That would be a 30mm stroke cylinder on a 32mm stroke crank..

if it's working fine, than maybe your luck has given you a 024S(Super) top-end..

Or is it?

Jo.

I wondered that too after reading the first post. Maybe he put some washers between the cylinder and crankcase too! :D

Hey all,

Over the past week Ive been working on putting a few saws together to make one AWESOME saw.... at least in my eyes...lol.

Heres the rundown,
026 PRO crankcase, crank and oiler
024 piston and jug

Just got everything together today after work and figured it would be a good time to fire it up, check for leaks....and put it in a little oak out back for a good shakedown. Filled gas and oil, checked for leaks..... none.

Fired it up and adjusted the carb....sounds good ! I always liked the supers (Ive had three now).

At assembly (complete teardown except splitting the cases) I turned the oil pump all the way up. Now I notice its REALLY putting out the oil ! While the saw is running, it drips off the front of the cover. I open the cover and notice its everywhere... I dont know how much to expect from a PRO pump turned all the way up.

I take the bar and chain off and fire the saw up while looking at the oil output tube. It pumping alot.... so I flip the saw upside down and turn the oiler all the way down.

I cant see any difference of output from all the way up...to all the way down.

One last equation... and perhaps the culprit. The side cover I used was from a long dead front adjusting 026. I drilled the hole in the cover to get to my side tensioner now, but noticed I had to add two washers under the bar nuts to get it to suck up. I wonder if the differences between the two side covers is causing a leakage around my bar mount...and not offering any restriction to my pump ?

Any ideas fellas ? Im in the dark with these adjustable pumps and new style 026's ?

Ya'll just missed the part in red.

Back