024 to 026 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw kid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Now that I got another chainsaw project I'll be in seventh heaven. I was telling my wife about this sight and how I couldn't believe how many like-minded people are out there.
About the 024 to 026 project,
Will I be needing a new carb or just rejet the one on the saw?

I'll be needing a new jug kit, is there anything else?

What if any is the diffrence between a 026 and a 026pro?

Can I hot-rod this saw?

Oh yeah, I need a new gas tank too, the 024 leaks.

:greenchainsaw:

mine has stock carb, screws might be slightly richened, I didnt tune it, the previous owner did.

I opened the stock muffler up as well, im not sure that it did anything other than make the saw louder though, those older Stihl mufflers didnt seem to restrictive.

I'm not sure where you are with this project, but it's often not economic to covert an 024 to an 026... if you have a "super" it's a maybe...

You'll need a new piston/cylinder, AS WELL as a crankshaft or crankscase, AND new top shroud , air filter, and air filter cover. And a few other little parts like seals , gasket sets etc.

Just placing an 026 cylinder on an 024 will result in a saw with very low compression and lower power than the 024.

A pro has a different oil pump which will generally not be compatible with your 024 crankcase.

And you need a new tank? Sell the 024 and buy an 026..

Last edited:
the top air cover can be trimmed to fit ( mine is)

the saw might make lower power than a regular 024, it does have low compression, with a sharp chain, ive never had any issues, and ive cut oaks that easily bury the 16" bar.

But yeah, if you are converting an 024 to an 026, dont, skip it and buy a bigger saw.

this saw came this way, I wouldnt have spent the $90 for cylinder and piston on it.

What Lake said, I looked into this and decided to hold onto my 024 in hopes of finding a P/C at a decent price some day. My dealer wants something like $250 for P/C, wrist pin, bearing, gaskets. The 026 has a longer stroke than the 024. There is a thread on here about someone milling the 026 cyl to bring the compression back up, but I don't know how it turned out.
Brad

if you leave the base gasket off, you will be CLOSER, but still, have more squish than the longer stroked crank.

milling the cylinder would work too, but you would then have to alter the exhaust and transfer ports accordingly, to maintain the same port timing.

The std 024 crank rod is piece of stamped metal. Start raising compession/ power and it will fall to pieces.

The shroud fit is a issue at the plug end... if you want to use and 026 airfilter.

Last edited:
So this is what I'm thinking....[the cases on my 024 are the same as an 026. I split the case install a 026 crank. I buy a cyl/piston kit for a 026, put it back together and I have an 026. The compression will be what an 026 comes with when you buy a new 026 right off the shelf.]

However, I'm not sure about the carb, if it will work the way it is or if it will need rejeted. Maybe I need a different carb all together.

Right now I'm in the midst of fixing up an 028 I got off of craigslist so the 024/26 project is on the back burner due to fundage. Plus I have to come up with a good reason to tell my wife why I'm doing it in the first place:monkey:

When I got that 024 I already had my 025 (bought new in 2001) and after tweeking the 024 out I wasn't too impressed. The 025 seemed to have way more power and cut quicker....it reved higher. But, if you looked at the construction of both saws side by side, the 024 looks way more durable. I think I remember seeing a data tag on the side of that 024 that said mfg date 1979. So now after reading someone elses post and hearing of the 024/26 conversion I got this crazy idea. :givebeer:

I'd find and 026 crankcase with a side chain adjuster at least... Brad can help...

I didn't think on that. Side chain tensioner is much nicer....I noticed that real quick when I got the 028av a couple of weeks ago.
Maybe I'll just make a Frankinstine 026 saw and sell the 024. I have no clue what it's worth though.

I didn't think on that. Side chain tensioner is much nicer....I noticed that real quick when I got the 028av a couple of weeks ago.
Maybe I'll just make a Frankinstine 026 saw and sell the 024. I have no clue what it's worth though.

I know I'm jumping around but now I'm like a kid in a candy store. :confused: Please bare with me.... You know the 028 av I have? If I rebuild that one and put the super jug/piston in it will it out perform out power the 026? Would it be a noticable differance between the super and the standard 028?

Yes it will possibly slightly outperform an 026, but its a lot heavier of a saw. Not sure if weight is a big issue with you or not? I would have to think a muffler modded 026 is aweful close to an 028 super though. They are both highly respectable saws imo.

024 to 026

Gentlemen may I ask a question that I thought I knew the answer to? I thought the 024 Super and the 026 have the same bore? What about the stroke?I thought I was doing this project also except with a 024 Super.I've noticed on most replacement piston kits the 024 Super and 026 are on the same listing/box.Your comments are most welcomed!

Gentlemen may I ask a question that I thought I knew the answer to? I thought the 024 Super and the 026 have the same bore? What about the stroke?I thought I was doing this project also except with a 024 Super.I've noticed on most replacement piston kits the 024 Super and 026 are on the same listing/box.Your comments are most welcomed!

024 & 024 Super 42mm bore....but Super has a diff stroke (same as 026)

026 & 260 44mm bore..........but newer 260 have 44.7mm bore started at ser #262187362

024 30mm stroke max WOT 13,000 rpm

024 Super 32mm stroke max WOT 13,000 rpm

026/260 32mm stroke max WOT 14,000 rpm

Last edited:
Good accurate post trigger time. If you need a honeable cylinder and a new piston let me know and I might be able to help you out.

If you have just a crankcase your able to tell if it is an 024 vs an 024 super or 026 by the following.
1) If has a steel crank (early 24's pics 194 & 195) or it has a forged crank and it reads 1114 (later 24's pic 197) its an 024.
2) If it has a forged crank and the part # is 1121 (pic 196) its an 026.

Back