024 troubles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texaswoodcutter

Texaswoodcutter

Hello, I'm new to this sight and need some help. I have a Stihl 024 that I bought new in 86 and never had any trouble with it until yesterday. The saw started running poorly so I adjusted the high/low screws. It ran ok but still was'nt right. I ran it until it ran out of gas and after refueling it was hard to start and still didn't run right. I put a kit in the carb and it still wont run right. It wont start unless you prime it and then it will only run if you keep it throttled up. It runs for a little while (throttled up) and then it acts like it runs out of gas. I pulled the fuel line out and checked it it seems to be o.k., filters o.k., new plug. The fuel line portion that stays in tank is soft but I blowed and sucked on it, it doesnt act like it is collapsing. Gas is fresh, I have already cut a cord with it this season. Saw has quite a few hours on it, I have cut a bunch of wood with it. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

epicklein22
+2. Check the impulse tube (tube going to cylinder from carb) and the intake boot first. If you can't find anything obvious you may want to do a search on here for a vacuum test. You could also just go ahead and change the tube and boot to be safe. The 024 is a good saw and shouldn't be to hard to get going again.

Keep us updated, there are good people on here that can be a big help.

Last edited:
Texaswoodcutter

Texaswoodcutter

024 probs

Thanks for the help guys. I'll replace the fuel line and pulse line and see if that will fix it. Does anyone know offhand what the part # is for the pulse tube or a site where I can look it up. I guess after 21 years of service I may have to buy a manual. Thanks again!

Gabby

Gabby

ArboristSite Member
Thanks for the help guys. I'll replace the fuel line and pulse line and see if that will fix it. Does anyone know offhand what the part # is for the pulse tube or a site where I can look it up. I guess after 21 years of service I may have to buy a manual. Thanks again!

Was wondering how you made out. Having similar trouble with an 031. Thanks.

yawning_dog

yawning_dog

ArboristSite Member
I've been noticing a common problem among many of my saws (cause most of them are hunks-o-junk): low compression. In fact, I have an 024 that cuts fine but slowly idles down and stops. I still haven't pinpointed the problemo, and I haven't vacuum/pressure checked it either as Lakeside alluded to, but I'm thinking a major culprit is the compression. I recently posted about an 036 I have that's experiencing similar "challenges". Anyway, if you have a compression tester I would check that too.

larman

larman

ArboristSite Operative

i have one of tous and same thing happin cound set the carb took it in to a saw guy he mess with it and told me to take the muffler off and see if the would help and it did the sparkarrest screen was plug runs reel good now

Latest posts