025 Clutch/Worm Gear Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

game04

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've just put my 025 back together today after replacing the rings and seals. I immediately noticed with I went to pull the starter rope for the first time (chain brake disengaged) the chain began to turn. I discovered the sprocket was not turning freely due to the worm gear not turning freely. It does turn but there is resistance. It appears when I tighten the clutch down it is putting pressure on the worm gear. Any ideas what went wrong?

The 025 has a snap ring on the crank, then the worm gear, a washer then the clutch. Do you have washer in there? Is the tab on the worm gear lined up with the slot in the clutch drum?

Last edited:
The 025 has a snap ring on the crank, then the worm gear, a washer then the clutch. Do you have washer in there? Is the tab on the worm gear lined up with the slot in the clutch drum?

I don't have the washer. This must be the problem. There is part in the IPL called the cover washer (1121 162 1001). Is this what I'm missing? The slot is lined up with the worm gear.

Yes you should have the washer to protect the oil pump and surrounding parts in case the clutch comes apart. Can you turn the sprocket without any chain on the bar/sprocket? Can you take some pictures of the clutch with and without the sprocket and post them.

QUOTE=lwn9186;2452227]Yes you should have the washer to protect the oil pump and surrounding parts in case the clutch comes apart. Can you turn the sprocket without any chain on the bar/sprocket? Can you take some pictures of the clutch with and without the sprocket and post them.[/QUOTE]

There is resistance to the sprocket turning whether the chain is installed or not. I found out my saw does not use the washer. It is one of the early ones from 1991 and the washer design was not introduced until later. This is explained in bulletin 42.2000. Here are a few pictures of what I have.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I figured this out. The brass bushing in the worm gear had popped out a bit. Once I tapped it back in it turns without any resistance.

Back