025 Oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello all.I am in need of some good free advice. I will explane.My 025 runs well, but the chain seems to have little lubrication. With the clutch cover off and the engine running a steady supply of oil is being pumped. The bar hole is clear! With the chain on and cutting I notice that the oil is dripping from below the clutch cover.The bar is a 14 inch with a Stihl RS 325 pitch chain.Could this bar require a different chain that has drivers that go further down into the bar that will collect the oil?It appears as though the oil is not being picked up by the chain. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ken

Check and make sure that the oiler hole in the bar is lining up with the oiler on the saw. Is is a Stihl bar or aftermarket?

If the chain doesn't bind or the bar burn, it's probably getting enough oil.. The stihl oil system with Stihl chain keeps the oil where it's needed.

Oil from the bottom of the side cover is often the oil spraying off the back of the chain as it goes around the sprocket.

I agree with Lake. My 025 never looks as if it has "enough" oil on it, but I have never had a problem.

Are you doing the oil spray test on a piece of wood to see if it is getting enough oil?

025 Oiling,
Thanks for the replies.Yes the holes are lined up.And yes I put a object in front of the bar and a small amount of oil comes from around the sprocket.This bar is old and I suspect that the oil is running back towards the clutch end of it.This appears as to wear the oil is going.Thanks for the replies, Ken

Latest posts

Back