026 Choke Phase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Could anyone please help explain to me the mechanics of the choke cycle. I have an 026 saw that will only start when primed with gas into the carb and then the saw runs normally until it is cold again. I have rebuilt the carb, installed a new Stihl brand air filter (the choke shutter works fine now) and a new tank vent valve.

The choke switch shaft seems to be worn and not making proper contact with the trigger mechanism so the choke cycle seems off. The choke will not engage in half-choke position and will only advance from full-choke to 'run' with no stop in between. In other words, the mechanism skips past half-choke altogether when the finger lever is moved.

My main question is, should the throttle shutter be completely closed when starting in full-choke position or just a tad open during that phase? Should the throttle shutter be slightly open during half-choke until the trigger is 'blipped'? I am really confused and any help will be extremely appreciated. Thanks!
ThrottleClosed.jpg

ThrottleOpened.jpg

Lever.jpg

Since the folks here have become real timid, I will jump in.

The part throttle opening should be at both the full choke, and what you call "half-choke", which is just "part throttle" without choke.

Thank you very much for your reply Fish and for clarifying open throttle vs open choke - I appreciate your time and knowledge. I'm a gal so I'm giving you a hug....:heart:

Latest posts

Back