026 exhaust through clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosocat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a stihl 026 back to work after it was thrown in salvage. I put in New diaphragm, pressure checked fuel and impulse lines, cleaned it, and it will start. But it idles very rough and won't rev up. It seems like exhaust smoke Is coming out from behind the clutch. I have not pressure checked the crankcase because I haven't fabricated block offs for exhaust and carb yet. Has anyone seen this before? Could it be an indication the seal behind the clutch is totally blown?

+1 for chain brake on

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I only liked it because I had the same thing happen to me with a 2065 Jonsered. Boy I felt dumb.

Plugged spark arrestor screen maybe?
Happened on my 026

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week a man brought in a brand new 22" poulan pro saw. He said he unboxed it and needed me to adjust the carb...wouldnt rev.

I fired it up..idled well, blip throttle...brake is on. I pull the handle back...blip the throttle...doesnt rev.

I pulled the bar and chain off and he had melted the plastic housing down over the clutch drum. I used a dremel to cut it free and clear the plastic away...worked fine after that.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

My first 026 used, was so full of $#!T under clutch cover it smoked, and plastic clutch cover had began to melt. I was surprised clutch and that side crank seal was not fubar

I stripped it, overall a nice saw for $95. WT-194 carb, P/C is OEM and looks great, I stripped down to removing both clutch and flywheel, it was a fithly POS as purchased

Spray bottle was repurposed, brandy is not a good degreaser.

Saw came with 5 worn chains, they are stumpers now as rim sprocket was about done. I use same B/C on my 028S
Sawcleaning 026.jpeg02695$special.jpg

cleaning 026.jpeg

Unlock the chain brake
That's really insulting, huskihl. I'm going to report you to the moderator. You think I'd be stupid enough to leave the brake on? Yeah, you're right, that's what it was. I took off the bar while I was working on it so I didn't notice brake was on. (Dummmmmm ass!) It's starting up and running now, just need to get carb dialed in.

That's really insulting, huskihl. I'm going to report you to the moderator. You think I'd be stupid enough to leave the brake on? Yeah, you're right, that's what it was. I took off the bar while I was working on it so I didn't notice brake was on. (Dummmmmm ass!) It's starting up and running now, just need to get carb dialed in.
Lol. I’ve done it. Makes a fella feel real special after he realizes it

Props for the admission! :rock:

Back