026 Pro with quick tensioner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Couple questions really.

First one is did they actually make an 026 Pro with a quick tensioner? I've been clearing some stuff out and dug out a working 026 that I bought a couple years back. I hadn't exactly forgotten about it, it was more off the radar of saws I need to finish. Anyway, this saw came to me running but missing all the plastics and clutch cover. It has adjustable oiler and decomp, so I'm saying it's a pro (I think).

However, the bar mount set up is a single stud so it's also a quick tensioner set-up. No personal experience of those, but seem to me to be a gimicky overcomplication of what is quite an easy to use side tensioner on a standard 026. So my second question is, can this be converted to a standard side tensioner? I'm thinking that I might already know the answer to this one as studying the shop manual, I think that the case doesn't have the necessary machining to accommodate the standard components. Just hoping someone can give me a straight 'yes it can' or 'no, definitely not'. If I have to source the quick tensioner parts and live with it, so be it, it's too nice a saw to leave unfinished.

The idea of a pro user saw being fitted with a gadget for people who can't tension a chain just seems odd to me.

Added some photos:

2012-02-19135553.jpg

2012-02-19135604.jpg

2012-02-19135637.jpg

Last edited:
I've added some quick pics of the saw in question.

My understanding was always decomp + adjustable oiler = pro.

I know some people have saws having the case recess for the oiler adjustment without an adjustment screw, but this one definitely does.

Now the case half with the oiler adjustment recess is the same half with the quick adjustment set up so that's one piece.

Last edited:
Thanks Fish.

I have the IPL so I know what parts it will need. Can you shed any light on it being a Pro with quick tensioner?

I don't know if we ever had a "Pro" designation over here?

If trying to convert take out one of those torx headed bolts and see what threads they have. Chain tension will be a problem no way that can be made to accept the side tensioner and the front tensioner wouldn't be easy either...

I'll search for pictures.

Side;
attachment.php

Front;
attachment.php

Fish, I use a program/application called CutePDFWriter. Go to print as you would for a paper copy and then select CutePDFWriter as your printer. It produces a PDF of whatever you sent to print for you to save.

Any way to embed?

As far as the quick tensioner being on a "Pro" saw, I think that may be a more Male/Cultural thing, kind of like why they don't sell condoms
in different sizes in the U.S.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your opinion and the comparison photos.

I'm curious about your comment on the 'Pro' designation here in the UK? I have another 026 Pro and both were bought in the UK, albeit second hand. If they sold them, I would have thought that they would differentiate between the standard product and a premium product. I'm sure that they certainly would have on the price.

Those Torx head screws are firmly in place, probably Loctited in. They don't even get part nos. on the IPL so I don't think that they are ever meant to come out. I don't think there is anything to be gained by trying as I think your pictures have confirmed that this wouldn't be an easy conversion.

Looks like I'm in the market for some quick tensioner components!

Any way to embed?

As far as the quick tensioner being on a "Pro" saw, I think that may be a more Male/Cultural thing, kind of like why they don't sell condoms
in different sizes in the U.S.

Not like McDonalds fries then; 'regular' rather than 'small' :D

Okay, so having searched my usual sources I've come up with zilch on the quick tensioner parts for the 026.

I think buying new would be too pricey to justify so I'm hoping someone can help me out here or point me to someone who might have what I need 2nd hand.

Bear in mind I'm in the UK, but I've bought 2nd hand parts from the US before.

These are the bits I'm going to need.

026tensioner.jpg

tensionerparts.jpg

The sprocket cover being the main bit needed, I'm probably looking for items 20, 22, 24, 25 and 27

i don't think i've ever seen an 026 PRO or otherwise with a quick tensioner. could this be a model sold outside the US only? or a prototype?

I'm beginning to wonder, given the trouble I'm having finding anything for it. Probably not a prototype though given that the parts are shown in the IPL.

Anyone else ever seen one before; US or Europe?

I'm beginning to wonder, given the trouble I'm having finding anything for it. Probably not a prototype though given that the parts are shown in the IPL.

Anyone else ever seen one before; US or Europe?

What do you need for it? Should be most of the same parts as the one for the ms270/280.

You really need to get a copy of the mediacat, you can reverse and do a parts search, and it will tell you all of the models that any part goes on.

Back