Swapping out quick tensioner of MS180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhealey

Reaction score
I’ve had a MS180 with the quick tensioner for about two years. Recently added a 362 to the quiver and realized how much I hate adjusting tension with the “quick” plastic wheel. Trying to figure out if I can swap out the side cover to the normal screw tighten MS180. If so, could anyone share a parts schematic and numbers? Thanks.

May I suggest you sell it if you don't like it and buy something that you do.
Certainly an option but I really like the saw, it is just this one aspect that is a hassle. It’s a bug, not a feature. Perhaps this is the path if not swapable?

And I still have requests to install the quick tensioner on regular saws.
What exactly do they do that makes you hate them so much?
Personally ,I think it's a PITA to finely adjust the chain's tension ,
while the adjusting wheel it's rather small to operate ,even without wearing gloves.
Furthermore,changing bars i.e. from 14" to 16" or reversing bar's side become time consuming procedures.

I do have an old Bosch electric chainsaw ( AKE 3517s ) which has a similar quick tensioning mechanism ,but is far more precise than the one Stihl uses.
Much better design ,practicality wise.

And I still have requests to install the quick tensioner on regular saws.
What exactly do they do that makes you hate them so much?
First, you have to take off your gloves. Then my fingers cant lift the ring, so I have to get out my scrench anyways. Loosen that. Then more than half the time, the little plastic adjustment wheel won’t move. So then I get pissed, take the entire cover off, adjust it manually and reinstall the side cover. It takes 5 times longer than loosening two nuts and turning a screw which always works perfecty. I guess if you really don’t want to carry the scrench it’s a plus…but to me it’s unneeded complication that I will avoid forever.

This is perfect - going to the dealer this week to order some parts. Thank you my friend.
Forgot to mention that the bar stud
-replacing the torx head bolt -
needs some thread-lock compound for installation
( also being a service manual directive ) .

The blue ( medium strength ) thread -lock compound should be used ( i.e. Loctite 243 ) .

3FCDDDB2-0862-49B3-BE5F-96CA606F4735.jpeg

Back