026 Pumping To Much Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

361 STIHL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The non adjustable oil pump on my 026 pumps way to much oil when not running the saw flat out so I am going to change it to an adjustable one. I know its going to take a new pump, gear, carrier, washer, and bushing. My question is will I need a new clutch drum? I don’t remember mine having the slot in it for the carrier to ride in. Or can I just cut a notch in the one I have? The clutch drum part numbers are not on any of the parts diagrams I have for comparison so I am not sure if the adjustable one is identical except for the slot.

Pretty much a whole tank, the only real problem is when you let it idle for any time it slings oil everywhere when it revs up. Its just really messy unless its being used really hard.
I see this was covered on a previous post titled "MS260 oiling to much" the only thing that thread didn't cover was are the clutch drums the same or do I need a new one with the slot in it?

361 STIHL said:
Pretty much a whole tank, the only real problem is when you let it idle for any time it slings oil everywhere when it revs up. Its just really messy unless its being used really hard.
I see this was covered on a previous post titled "MS260 oiling to much" the only thing that thread didn't cover was are the clutch drums the same or do I need a new one with the slot in it?

It slings oil everywhere after letting it idle primarily because the oiler pumps any time the saw is running, not just when the saw is actually cutting. Shutting it off rather than letting it idle would be another solution.

I believe the drum part number is different due to the differences in the oil pump drive between the adjustable and non adjustable oiler. Someone else can likely confirm this for you .

361 STIHL said:
The non adjustable oil pump on my 026 pumps way to much oil when not running the saw flat out so I am going to change it to an adjustable one. I know its going to take a new pump, gear, carrier, washer, and bushing. My question is will I need a new clutch drum? I don’t remember mine having the slot in it for the carrier to ride in. Or can I just cut a notch in the one I have? The clutch drum part numbers are not on any of the parts diagrams I have for comparison so I am not sure if the adjustable one is identical except for the slot.

Yes, it needs a new clutch drum. No, you can't cut a notch as the new drum is much wider.

TimberPig said:
It slings oil everywhere after letting it idle primarily because the oiler pumps any time the saw is running, not just when the saw is actually cutting. Shutting it off rather than letting it idle would be another solution.

I believe the drum part number is different due to the differences in the oil pump drive between the adjustable and non adjustable oiler. Someone else can likely confirm this for you .

Hey Timber. I'm yaking at ya just to see my new signature,hehe..

Latest posts

Back