026 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimanager

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done before. But I could not find any thing specific in the search.
How do you take off the gas tank and handle assembly of an 026? I need to replace because of a cracked tank. I can see where it is attached, but I just cant get to it. It seems to me there are some plugs that cover the screws but they did not want to come off easily and I did not want to force them if I was doing something wrong.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sam

026 Tank Removal

1) Remove the following items before you begin: sprocket cover, bar and chain.

2) Innerguide plate removal - Take a small screwdriver and remove the screw for the inner guide plate. Its a brass looking plate that goes over your bar studs.

3) AV Plug removal - Now remove the plastic AV mount plug that is located on the bottom of the saw towards the tank side. You can do this by putting a flathead screwdriver into the notch in the pulg and prying it up. Unscrew the screw with the chain catcher on it till its just about out, but still in the plastic AV plug. Now take a pair of needle nose pliers and grasp the bolt that you just unscrewed and pull the AV plug out.

4) Remove the air filter cover along with air filter.

5) Coil wire removal - Underneath the carb you will see two coil wires that you will need to remove: one of them attaches to the control shaft and can be easily pushed out. The other one (towards the inside) is a bit harder to remove. You may be able to take a pair of needlenose pliers and while grasping the the brass end pull it gently towards the carb. After you remove these two wires now route these wires out of the carb box. You do this by gently pulling them (one at a time) from the top of the carb box.

6) Removing the throttle grip and control rod - Now remove the throttle grip cover by removing the screw located underneath the handle. You will be able to spot it if you lay the saw on its side. After you remove this you can now slide the throttle rod to your right so it is not attached to the trigger anymore.

7) Carb removal and Intake boot - Now remove the two nuts that hold on the carb. Now gently slide the carb out till the face of it is about flush with the carb studs. You will now notice a the fuel line located on the lower left side of the carb. Gently pull the fuel line off the carb. Now finish pulling the carb off the carb studs. After you remove the carb you will see a brass insert in the intake boot. Take your finger and remove this. Also remove the
the other metal piece (lack of the technical term) by sliding it off the carb studs. Now take your finger and push the intake boot through the hole in the gas tank.

8) Upper AV mount - Remove the upper AV mount bolt. This is located at the top of the saw (flywheel side) and screws into the top of gas tank.

9) AV screw removal - Now go back to the clutchside of the saw and remove the two screws that are located beneath the plastic AV plugs that you removed in steps 3 & 4.

10) Impulse line removal - If you look in between the gas tank and the cylinder you will see a small diameter line that runs from the gas tank to the bottom part of the crankcase. Gently pull this off by positioning a pair of needle nose pliers in between the gas tank and the crankcase and pulling the end off the crankcase.

11) Seperating the gas tank from the crankcase - Now twist the tank clockwise so it frees itself from the tank support pin (that is located underneath the crankcase below the oil cap) and gently pull the tank free.

I hope this helps. I'm writing this in between tasks at work so it may not be too clear lol. If you need clarification on anything let me know. There are also a few variations that can be done like
Disconnecting the intake boot from the cylinder instead of the carb, but since you have to swap tanks the carb will need to be removed anyhow.

Last edited:
what is the tank support pin attached to?

Very clear instructions, thanks! I just finished re-building my 026. I noticed that there is nothing for the tank support pin to engage with. Is there supposed to be another AV bushing or something just under the oil filler hole?

-Don

Very clear instructions, thanks! I just finished re-building my 026. I noticed that there is nothing for the tank support pin to engage with. Is there supposed to be another AV bushing or something just under the oil filler hole?

-Don

Hi Don,

No there is not.

Latest posts

Back