028 av super woodboss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
just got this saw from my uncle.runs great.are there any concerns with these saws? thanks:msp_thumbsup:

ps... it has a 325 bar and chain,spur spocket,can it be changed to 3/8 bar and chain and rim sproket????

You'll cut your fingers off with that thing.

Terribly dangerous.

Stihl doesn't even take them back on the consumer safety recall -- they're even afraid of them.

Out of concern for your safety, PM me and I'll send you my address so you can ship me the saw so you don't hurt yourself with it.

OP, yes you can run 3/8 chain but .325 is what the saw will be most happy with. The 028 Super is one of the most highly regarded Stihl saws. It's a keeper. (pretty equivalent to the 026)

OP, yes you can run 3/8 chain but .325 is what the saw will be most happy with. The 028 Super is one of the most highly regarded Stihl saws. It's a keeper. (pretty equivalent to the 026)

ok thank you,i just thought if it would,my others saws chain would work,,,,,

Very durable saws. The will run forever if you take even the slightest amount of care with them. Much better than the 290 and subsequent varients.

Dad had one that gave him fits for years. He bought it new in '93 to replace the old 041 that he bought new in '78. From the day he got it home it was little finicky on cold starts (might take 4 or 5 pulls to fire). Our local shop kept trying to blame it on old gas. The shop was 2 blocks from the only gas station in town. Dad would stop on the way there, get a fresh gal of gas (mix), and go straight to the shop. The guy was a lousy mechanic. In 2006, after that shop finaly went out of buisness, dad took it to a Stihl Tech who knew carbs. $35 later it had a new carb and has run great ever since. The tech told him that the saw should have never left the factory with that carb on it. Excellent firewood saw, even whith the old carb. It cuts smooth and relatively fast for its size. He runs an 18" .325 B/C. He quit burning firewood about the time that he got it (because I moved out of the house so he lost his free labor LOL), but he still used it to maintain all the lanes out at the farm. I'd say he cut about 2 cords a year with it, but it was certainly of cutting a LOT more. Needless to say, it is in REALLY good shape.

If you keep your eyes open you can find good ones for pretty cheap. While I don't have a need for one, I wouldn't mind having one or two of them on the shelf just in case.

Latest posts

Back