028 chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithfix

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im working on what I believe is a "early" 028 wb and the all the chain brake components are missing. The serial number is 6038330 and the rear handle is all metal. So do I need the "loop" style chain brake? Anyone with the correct parts or info , I would appreciate the help. I also need a air filter and cover and any other specs or info about this saw as there is a "change" in this particular model at some point if Im not mistaken thanks smithfix

Lots of versions of the 028 out there. Earliest ones did not have a standard chain brake IIRC.

I'm a bit young to remember the 028 in it's heyday but for the early versions I am picturing a system built into the clutch cover like the 031?

I've come across three versions of the 028/chainbrake.

The earliest crankcases did not have a brake. The latest have the handle with the cutouts. In between there was a solid handle. I know that the brake band is different among the latest and mid versions.

It sure seems like it was set up for one. and its not on the cover :dizzy:

I assembled an 028 by using three different saws. I started off with an early version (42mm) and got a p/c (44mm) off of yet another saw (evil bay). During the end of the build I acquired an 028 Super with a nice 46mm p/c (too late, but at least I have a spare/upgrade) but I did use quite a few parts off of it, including the entire chain brake assembly. It's been awhile but I know the whole assembly went into my case/handle parts with no modifications. I noticed quite a few differences between the donor saws so I'm sure I got lucky on that one as there are probably other versions that wouldn't retrofit without changing more parts.

Back