028 problem. Points to solid state?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's 12 degrees outside and I went out in my flannel pajama bottoms t-shirt and leather jacket to try out the 028. I cut a few passes through a 20'' oak log and let it sit idling wile I came in the house and warmed up for about five min. Went back out and it didn't miss a beat - running real strong. Thank guys for the help/guidance diagnosing this problem. :cheers:
Kevin

If you want to convert, you can use your old coil and flywheel in the case. Easiest and best way is just buy a used 0000 400 1300 electronic igntion module for $25-35...

Guys, I am sorry to dig up an old post, but I have a couple very specific question regading this post.

I have a very old Stihl 028 Woodboss that has a very weak spark. It is the old points and condenser version. If I am reading this post correctly, I can convert it to a solid state ignition by installing an electronic ignition module from a newer 026, 029, etc? Do I have to do anything else to the saw? I can use the old flywheel and just cut the wires to the points off? I not quite sure the exact procedure and I don't want to spend the money on a newer ignition coil before I know that this will work as stated above. Thanks for your help.

yes - use an 026 or whatever 1300 coil
yes - use the existing flywheel
yes - yes, cut away the old wires

Lake,

Thank you. I did find another old post that said to take the wire from the switch and connect it to the spade terminal on the coil. I guess there is no need for the yellow ground like the one on my 028 AVE?

028 redo on points?

Hi
Im one of the guys that had the 028,,that wanted to do a swap on electronic coil.I did the coil...but the saw skipped wickid!........Ill have to go the route that is meantioned here,,,i assume?
Glen

Latest posts

Back