028 Super Vs. 036 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigair

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well I've got the 028 Super rebuilt and got a new 18' bar and chain for the 036 pro. I decided to see how much difference there was between the two. I am running low kickback chains for now, until I get used to the saws. I was quite suprised that the 028 seemed really close in power to the 036. This was just by feel and not timed. I was bucking emerald ash borer ash 12" to 20" dia and maple of the same size. But my 028 does truly run like a new one now. I am going to have a tough time deciding which to keep. I still have the Homelite VI Super 2 which will now take over on limbing duty.

The 036 is a lot better saw than the 028. Unless the 036 is shot I'd keep it over the 028 any day.

Del

Yeah, that 036 should spank the 028. If the 036 is new, give it some break in time. I remember when I bought my 036. I expected it to really outcut the 029 Super I had, but when the 036 was new, the two saws were really close. After a while though, the 036 came alive.

Sprocket???

bigair said:
Well I've got the 028 Super rebuilt and got a new 18' bar and chain for the 036 pro. I decided to see how much difference there was between the two. I am running low kickback chains for now, until I get used to the saws. I was quite suprised that the 028 seemed really close in power to the 036. This was just by feel and not timed. I was bucking emerald ash borer ash 12" to 20" dia and maple of the same size. But my 028 does truly run like a new one now. I am going to have a tough time deciding which to keep. I still have the Homelite VI Super 2 which will now take over on limbing duty.
A new bar and chain, did you look at the sprocket for wear? The main driver of the chain and you didn't mention it? I don't know why it gets over looked so often. It's the cheapest part to replace with the most intensive job to do, drive the chain around the bar. You should think of the bar, chain and sprocket as a system and not forget the sprocket's role (pun intended) in driving/pulling the chain through the wood.

Why not keep them both? Really, that 036 should outperform the 028. 028 is a good saw, but the 036 is just a bit better. But then, like in everything else, it depends on what you need the saw for. I have to go with the 036 in an apples to apples comparison. It's got the features, power and ability that allow it to fill many niches.

Take care all,
Jeff

Yes, I will probably keep the 036 pro. It will be alot easier to get parts for in the future. I can only hope it can match the durability of the homelite. That saw has been riden hard for a good long time. Only has needed periodic air filter cleanings, new chains and sprockets and spark plugs. It could probably use a set of rings.

Latest posts

Back