028 Super yea or nay??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been chatting back in forth with an old boy up in TN about his less than stellar looking 028 Super.
Needs a cover for the carb & a new pull rope...other than that he says it runs stronger than a "raped ape!":rolleyes::eek:

Wants a $100 and wont budge, I'm not to well versed on this saws...I'd probably just slap the extra parts and sell it or maybe use it as a back-up.
Is it worth $100 or what & whats been you guys experience with this saw?
Here is a pic of said saw...
6b6c1a6a7540d24f12367af8356cafb8.jpg

I love my 028 Super! I think $100 is a fair price for one! I have a air cleaner cover I'll see dirt cheap if you end up getting that saw.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hang on to it Dan...I may be contacting you real soon!
Thanks for the feedback!

With the cord hanging out like that I would wonder if the spring broke or the plastic lip that catches the spring has failed. Both rather easy fixes, but might require some parts. Without the pull cord functional, it's all but impossible to check the spark and compression of the saw. With the spark plug and muffler removed you can examine the condition of the piston and cylinder wall. I've never rebuilt a clamshell Stihl saw, but I'd venture a guess that they are more difficult than the similar displacement 024/026 and 034/036 saws. For $100 you should be able to recover the purchase price by parting out the saw if it wasn't worth fixing. Bottom line it's an OK deal, but not in the "You Suck" class.

The 028 is not a clamshell design but one of the toughest Stihl saws ever made, they are built like a tank and are a tad heavy by todays standards. The oiler drive is the weaker link on them but not at all difficult to replace if needed, tons of them out there still doing their duty.

Definitely not clamshell. Mag metal case, clutch cover and starter cover. Like John said could part out if you have a ready market. I really like 028s as about bulletproof. It's an earlier model, starter doesn't say Virginia Beach. As a non runner that may even be seized--broken starter, I wouldn't pay anymore than $75. I've worked on and sold 7 or 8 028s in $250 to $275 with new bar and chain and maybe case. With parts and work you'll have a good saw to keep but not a money maker to flip. JMO

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

If you can look at piston and turns over smooth, could be okay. With missing AF cover, could be dust bypass and into cylinder because the cover tightens down to secure filter. Without, possibly also lean damage from air leak.

Been chatting back in forth with an old boy up in TN about his less than stellar looking 028 Super.
Needs a cover for the carb & a new pull rope...other than that he says it runs stronger than a "raped ape!":rolleyes::eek:

Wants a $100 and wont budge, I'm not to well versed on this saws...I'd probably just slap the extra parts and sell it or maybe use it as a back-up.
Is it worth $100 or what & whats been you guys experience with this saw?
Here is a pic of said saw...
6b6c1a6a7540d24f12367af8356cafb8.jpg

I love the 028's other than the weight. I think I have an old sun faded cover around here I'll send you for the cost of postage.

$100 for a 028 in average condition for a flipper, no way . $100 isn't too bad if you want to keep it and use it. The saw will probably need more work than meets the eye. $125 to $150 is about all they are worth in average condition if they are whole and complete in running condition. 028 are good old saws , I also have a fondness for them .

I'd think maybe $60-75 as it sits. Needs at least that again to make it worth $150 ish as a ready to work saw. If the seller won't budge, I'd let him hold on to his pot-o-gold.

Funny how even a bucket of creamsicle colored parts seems to be worth a pile of cash.

To be fair, that is one of my favorite saws. They run great, last longer than some wood cutters live, and hold some value even after being battered and abused. Just not enough meat left on that bone to make it worth chewing.

I got this 028 salvaged from a fire. All I did was clean it some. Even when covered in ash grime and soot and who knows how old gas was. 3 pulls, fired stong. Bar paint blistered but sprocket smooth and cuts straight.
1139e13697c8002d00a4bb1eaf58d70f.jpg
1398f1c8532c8e0a53af371dfc45e257.jpg

I got this 028 salvaged from a fire. All I did was clean it some. Even when covered in ash grime and soot and who knows how old gas was. 3 pulls, fired stong. Bar paint blistered but sprocket smooth and cuts straight.
1139e13697c8002d00a4bb1eaf58d70f.jpg
1398f1c8532c8e0a53af371dfc45e257.jpg

I have parts to fix up but it has character

Back