028 wood boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryany91

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got it today for 50 buck, it runs but will bog down when I give it any gas, i have cleaned the carb, and still nothing different, it spits out a alot of oil out of exhuast, any suggestions? thanks new to the forum.

I like them 028s. Great saws and hard to tear up, oil out of the exhaust, is it bar oil?

Got it today for 50 buck, it runs but will bog down when I give it any gas, i have cleaned the carb, and still nothing different, it spits out a alot of oil out of exhuast, any suggestions? thanks new to the forum.

First off Welcome to AS!
The bog you talk of when you give it gas sounds like the L is set too lean. The "Oil" coming out the exhaust, is it oil or is it mix ?
Do you know any history on the saw, how long its been since ran last etc.
Carb cleaning was not a bad idea but the carb may need a rebuild.

Don't know the history on saw, got it off CL, and it is mix out of the exhaust, running 50:1, the saw looks like new, very little use.

I agree with everyone on checking for correct carb tuning. As a second thought, if you still have problems, check your fuel lines. A partially pinched hose or even a pin hole in your pick up hose will cause erratic fuel feed. I had the exact same problem with my 046 and found my fuel line was cracked right before it led into the carb.

I was under the assumption ring wear can cause mix to blow back through the carb. Any way I have had saws that did no mattter how I adjusted the carb yet run pretty good. The biggest problem was the air filter getting mix on it and sawdust sticking and plugging it bad. I found the screen type air filters have much less of a problem in this situation.

Make sure to check the muffler screen. That thing will get gunked up and won't let the saw run free - i.e. airflow goes to nil when it really needs to move at a huge volumetric rate. Imagine trying to gasp for air while running a marathon while someone stuck a tennis ball down your throat.

I've had good luck using brake cleaner and a wire brush to clean it out. While you're at it with the outside muffler off, you might as well remove the inner muffler and look through the exhaust port to see if there are any scores or other damage, on the exhaust side of the piston/ring.

I'm with JP.
First thing I would do is pull the exhaust and clean, or replace, the screen.
I am suspecting a clogged screen if it won't rev hard, but starts and idles fine.

Next to cleaning the air filter, it is the easiest thing to check on most saws.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back