028 Wood Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robslingshot

Reaction score
I need some help!! I have a wide variety of saws and it would like to be able to use the same chain on all. I run a 041av with a 20" bar and it's 3/8 and .050 wide. Can I use the same chain in both saws? They are the same number of teeth on both sprockets (7) Any help is appreciated!!! Also how about a oiler for a 011AV

What specific saws do you have besides the 041?

The sprockets need to have the same spacing (pitch) too, not just the number of slots or teeth. There is a big difference between .325 and .375 (3/8) pitch.

But yes, you should be able to run both saws with the same chains. I standardized on 20", 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge, 72 drive link chains for both my MS-460 and my 041 AV. Both bars and chains were interchangeable. I also have a Husky 394 with a Husky 20" bar that takes the same 72 drive link, 3/8 pitch chain as the Stihls.

Be aware not all bars are created equal. My Husky 55 Rancher had small mounts and other bars (Stihl) were not interchangeable with the Husky. They were both 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge, and both could use the same chain with 72 drive links. I elongated the bar slot on my longer Stihl bars and bought the adapter that allows me to use those bars on my Husky 394.

All my saws have 7 tooth, 3/8 pitch sprockets.

Can't help with the oiler question.

I forgot to add ... look on the bars on your other saws. It should have the specs stamped into the bar nearest the sprocket. If they are the original bars that came with the saw when new you can easily determine the pitch by reading the info on the bar.

The 028 Super is a terrific saw, a true classic. Standard chain for the 028 was 063 gauge and .325" pitch. The saw loved that and would cut all day with it. Bars ranged anywhere for 16" to 20". Not sure why Stihl ever discontinued it. Lugging around an 041 when you have an 028 on board seems rather pointless.

Latest posts

Back