028 WOODBOSS Opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogjaws

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if the 028's are worth rebuilding.
My father inlaw has one that I have not put a compression tester on yet
but is 28 yrs old and the piston still looks good, no scoring. It has very low compression and low rpms.
Is this something that maybe just new rings will correct or is a completely
new top end required?
Typically do the crank and bearings needs replacing at this point also?
Just wondering if its worthwhile to do on this saw or just buy a new one. Its an 028av woodboss other than low compression the saw is in great shape,
its been well taken care of.

Thanks for your input guys.
Mark

By todays standards a "little" heavy but a VERY well built durable saw. If piston/cyl is good try rings, if not get an assy for an 028 super, it has the most displacement (see below).

They made 028s with 3 different size pistons, the super being the biggest. IF you just need rings measure piston first. I rebuilt mine ( a freebie) with stihl parts many years ago (NOS STIHL, 028 super), it is my favorite limbing saw and will buck smaller stuff (33rs chain, <20 in. O.K.) but my 036/038 are preferered for over ca. 16 ".

Good luck.

Low RPMs? what do you mean? could just be carb/fuel?

Last edited:
The 028 ain't "heavy"... great saw. The one I have was purchased brand new in 1984 by my Dad. Still goin' strong.

Yes they are worth the time and money to rebuild them. You will be happy you did.

Gary

I'll co-sign that. Not too heavy and a strong runner, well worth the time. Our 28 finally got tired after 15 years of hard use. Go for it.

Mad Professor

No the carb/fuel is fine, saw runs good, starts good.
Just sounds like to me its not making any compression anymore.
This has saw has blocked up at least 300 cords of hardwood
over the years and I imagine is just plain tuckered out.
He's gotten his moneys worth out of it for sure but is still
a good lookin saw.
I would like to help him keep it if its worth it.
Are the aftermarket parts ok for the money or should we
stick with the NOS parts.
I checked with my local dealer and they want $310.00 for the P/C
kit.

First get a compression reading to see where your at. If it is indeed low, I would just give it a light honing and then rering it, since the piston and cylinder are not scored.

The bearings on 028's do not go bad too often so I assume your in good shape in that dept.

Last edited:
First get a compression reading to see where your at. If it is indeed low, I would just give it a light honing and then rering it, since the piston and cylinder are not scored.

The bearings on 028's do not go bad too often so I assume your in good shape in that dept.

Yep... what he said... good post.

Gary

The 028 ain't "heavy"... great saw. The one I have was purchased brand new in 1984 by my Dad. Still goin' strong.

Yes they are worth the time and money to rebuild them. You will be happy you did.

Gary

My 036 IS lighter and MORE powerful..... BUT Stihl love my 028S though.

Not sure about aftermarket, was $186 for pis/cyl assy, gasket, and top rod bearing, in 1997 from Stihl dealer. Stihl have reciept.

$310 recently, OWCH!!!!!!!

P.S. why don't the HUSKY people rave about how good they are, so much so that they are WORTHY of a rebuild? Hummmmm...........?

P.P.S. Yes I' m polking fun ;)

The tecomec (italian) aftermarket Piston and cylinder (028S) are great...and $99->130 depending on where you buy them.

Sounding like low compression??? Hmmm... I'd be checling your carb, airfilter and exhaust screen. There may be nothing wrong with the piston/cylinder.

I own and use a small "fleet" of 028's. They are definitely worth the rebuild.
I can never understand the heavy BS, an 028 is a LIGHT powerful little saw that will do more than it was intended to for years and years. If you ever spend any time behind a HEAVY saw ( ie. old Mac, 070 Stihl, etc ) you will then understand what I mean. A good size girl scout can run an 028 all day!

Thanks for the input gentleman.

Some good info for sure.
I stopped and bought a compression tester today on the way home from work.
Iam going to go and test this saw tonight. Per the suggestions I'll check the
exhaust screen thanks Lakeside53, and if the compression is good the carb will be the next item to inspect.
One way or the other with all the help on AS Iam confident it will be back
in running order soon.
My Father-Inlaw will be a very happy camper if we can fix it, as this saw
was a gift from his son and just so you all know he is 78 yrs old and still hand splits all his own firewood(5-6 cords/yr). He amazes me all the time. Hope I
am still going that strong, h*ll I just hope I live that long. If Iam still cuttun and splitin wood all the better.
I"ll let you know the results.
Thanks again all.
Mark

You're a good man for helping out the FIL with his "old saw". I concur with the previous posters on almost all points. Said before, will say it again, one of my 028s are the first saw my hands seem to reach for in the shop. They just feel good in my hands, my fav mid-Stihl, hands down. Never run a more durable saw.

Heck yeah its worth rebuilding! I love my 028S...good feel, rips through wood(3/8 RS) and it looks cool. The 028 is one of the reasons Stihl is NUMBER 1 WORLDWIDE!

Even being a Husky fan, I like the 028. Seems like you just can't tear em up and they sure do leave a pile of chips laying at the end of the day!

Chuck

Must be mostly for nostalgic reasons, even the Super does not have a very good power to weight ratio........:greenchainsaw: :)

Here we go with the P/W thing again. The 028S is a good saw from a time before the EPA got their mitts on saws. You would have to run one to understand. The saw feels good, revs well, and is fun to cut with. If P/W was always the primary concern, wouldn't you always use an MS660? Yes it is packing about 2lbs. that todays saws don't, but it makes up fot it with a good attitude. That is why Stihl sold millions of them.

Even being a Husky fan, I like the 028. Seems like you just can't tear em up and they sure do leave a pile of chips laying at the end of the day!

Chuck

Must be mostly for nostalgic reasons, even the Super does not have a very good power to weight ratio........:greenchainsaw: :)

You never stop!!!

What do you want for a saw that is as old as your undies and the skidmarks to match!!!

At that time that was prolly considered a lightweight saw..............ooooooooh I forgot lets judge it on todays stardards.......:bang: :bang: :bang:

Back