028 WOODBOSS Opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I applaud the person who started this topic. I think this got me off my butt to do something with my 028 that I bought for 10 bucks. It ran, but its rough. I told the dude that owned it 2 years ago to fix the loose muffler and he just laughed and said he didnt care. That thing ran for 2 YEARS like that, he didnt maintenence anything, just poured oil aand mix in it and used it. I knew I would get it eventually, wish it was sooner than later.:bang:

Like I said, a great little durable saw.

If you have taken care of one of these and it's STHIHL running you know a lot about saws, or was lucky enough to buy one from someone who did, or have one that is Stihl alive becasuse it was built so well......

There are a lot that Stihl run, wonderful little saws....... the 028S

Last edited:
You never stop!!!

What do you want for a saw that is as old as your undies and the skidmarks to match!!!

At that time that was prolly considered a lightweight saw..............ooooooooh I forgot lets judge it on todays stardards.......:bang: :bang: :bang:

I like it better than the 260. Weight is not noticeable and lugs like no other.

Poor troll. Must be hard to get out and run saws when you stay under the bridge all the time.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :notrolls2:

Let's see I have a 5100S and an 028Super sitting side by side.
Guess which one I always reach for first?And it doesn't start with a "D".
Let us know how that 028 turns out. Mine rocks!!:clap:

I'm happy with my 028. If repairs can be made at a reasonable cost, (can an equally classed new saw be bought for less than repair costs of the old saw?) then by all means get it running again.

First step, figure out what's wrong, and what it's going to cost. (my $120 saw cost like $320 when all was said and done)

Must be mostly for nostalgic reasons, even the Super does not have a very good power to weight ratio........:greenchainsaw: :)

Maybe so, but I'll take a saw that "fits the hand" over some POS that looks good on paper anyday.......:chainsaw: :dizzy:

the 028 never won a power to weight contest on paper,but paper doesn't do an 028 justice.
they just have a feel about them when using them,great powerband,very easy to maintain,heck the damn things are still around after all these years.
anyone that doesn't have admiration for the 028 hasn't used/be around the 028.

In its own hayday, the 028 Super wasn't even close to the slightly lighter Husky 154......:buttkick:

My 028S will Stihl be running when you can't get parts to fix the 154..........................your 154 will be recycled to a chianese whatever copy of a Stihl when it leaves the scrap pile for future use. Hey, reminds me, seen any HUSKY copies??????? I wonder why............

Yup, a little heavy, but all metal wonderful little saw. Might Stihl be running when I'm not...............

My 028S will Stihl be running when you can't get parts to fix the 154..........................your 154 will be recycled to a chianese whatever copy of a Stihl when it leaves the scrap pile for future use. Hey, reminds me, seen any HUSKY copies??????? I wonder why............

Sorry, total BS, and I have no 154......:buttkick:

I don't think parts for the 154 will dry up very soon, as the 254xp (newer version) was still made the last time I looked - no need for Chinese crap parts..... :cheers: :greenchainsaw:

In its own hayday, the 028 Super wasn't even close to the slightly lighter Husky 154......:buttkick:

You keep quoting paper, talk 'bout total BS. How many 154s are still working on a jobsite? How many people extoling their virtues? Not saying it's a bad saw, it might be fantastic but I've never run one nor seen one on a pro's rig or jobsite. I still use my 028s, will for as long as they run and know plenty of guys that still carry 'em 'round as well even though they have more modern, newer saws. Can that be said of the 154? :buttkick: Oh, BTW have you ever run a 154 and if so for how long? If you had one and got rid of it, why?

Specs on a sheet of paper are just words and mean very little in the real world. How a saw performs in the hands, how comfortable/confident the operator feels with it and how many decades that saw will continue to perform far outweigh any meaningless words on paper.

I enjoy your paper-saw arguements Troll, but I'll trust my hands and experience over what some marketing guy scribbles on paper.:blob2:

Last edited:

The 028 super was about the same dispalcement. But was as light/lighter ( Re: 028s 11.6 lbs , 154 13.6 WITH powerehead/bar) as said above, ad naussium..... :notrolls2:

I've NEVER seen a 154 Stihl living..............do you have any on life support?

Last edited:
I have always liked the 028's, got three of them, they are currently semi- ritired from my working stable. I fire them up ever once in a while and cut some wood with them, they start up right away after 3 to 4 pulls after sitting around for sometimes as long as a year with leftover fuel in them to boot.

On e-bay an 028 in good shape will bring darn near as much as they did if you were to buy one brand new back in the 80's. I think that is saying something about the saw and how popular and durable they were.

My favorite one was the Super of course, had to watch that thing it liked to kick back at you if you weren't careful.

It is a saw worth the time and effort to fix-up. No doubt.

Must be mostly for nostalgic reasons, even the Super does not have a very good power to weight ratio........:greenchainsaw: :)

I am going to stand by my original statement my Norwegian friend.

Nostalgia does have something to do with it, those 028's were out in the woods cutting before any Husky saws were heard of or seen around here.

As far as the power to weight ratio goes, YOU JUST PLAIN DON'T NOTICE IT!! They are fun saws to run, and they are plenty powerful enough within their intended usage. I STILL GRAB UP MY FRIENDS 028 EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, and don't feel overwhelmed with the weight and lack of power at all. If it is the closest saw, it gets grabbed and run until I can get back to the orange pile.:)

I am a Husky fan, and I still would not pass up a good deal on an 028 that ran good. They are reliable saws, and if you want to turn a buck the Stihl name sells itself as long as you aren't out of line on the price.

Outside of the big CC Stihls, the 028 and yes even the 310 are my favorites.
Call me goofy, but I like em.

Chuck

Specs on a sheet of paper are just words and mean very little in the real world. How a saw performs in the hands, how comfortable/confident the operator feels with it and how many decades that saw will continue to perform far outweigh any meaningless words on paper.

While I dont whole heartedly agree that specs are completely worthless, or meaningless as far as giving a fella a guide to go by when deciding on a saw purchase, I do agree strongly with you on the fact that there is NO SUBSTITUTE for actually running the saw.

That fact alone accounts for the popularity of the Stihl 028 or the MS 290.
They are handy, easy to run, and will serve a fella a lifetime!! If one was to rely solely on specs, he would potentially miss out on a great saw.

Chuck

Very well said Chuck. The 028 is a mainstay of the woods in America. I just can't take anyone serious when being critical if they don't have the time on the tool! Its very easy to sit back with specs. and boo-hoo about weight, performance,etc. Come talk to me when you have 500 hours behind the saw and THEN AND ONLY THEN are you qualified to be critical, MY HUMBLE OPINION!:cheers:

While I dont whole heartedly agree that specs are completely worthless, or meaningless as far as giving a fella a guide to go by when deciding on a saw purchase, I do agree strongly with you on the fact that there is NO SUBSTITUTE for actually running the saw.

I may have gone a tad overboard with the "meaningless" statement. Spec sheets are a good starting point for comparison. Thanks for reeling me back in a bit. ;)

That fact alone accounts for the popularity of the Stihl 028 or the MS 290.
They are handy, easy to run, and will serve a fella a lifetime!! If one was to rely solely on specs, he would potentially miss out on a great saw.

Chuck

Yup. Same could probably be said of specific models in other colors as well. The 028 may arguably be the most beloved saw in Stihl's old saw line up that guys actually run, no shelf queens. Followed closely by the 056, 041, 038, 070, 090 and maybe the 084, though I suspect region may tweak that list a bit. Probably why someone in Germany decided to try to cash in with that 280 model, name recognition.

Back