028 WOODBOSS Opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Same could probably be said of specific models in other colors as well. The 028 may arguably be the most beloved saw in Stihl's old saw line up that guys actually run, no shelf queens. Followed closely by the 056, 041, 038, 070, 090 and maybe the 084, though I suspect region may tweak that list a bit. Probably why someone in Germany decided to try to cash in with that 280 model, name recognition.

Absolutely right about other models having their legendary or most favored models also.

I never considered the regional factor, may explain why some saws get poo pooed by guys in BIG timber areas. Not for durability, but more for capability.

Chuck

I see why sawtroll has abandoned this thread...he was taking a lot of heat. I have a buddy in PA that likes the 028 so much he has collected over 100 of them over the years.

I see why sawtroll has abandoned this thread...he was taking a lot of heat. I have a buddy in PA that likes the 028 so much he has collected over 100 of them over the years.

Awww, nothing personal on the Troll at all, he makes a lot of valid points in many threads. But this time the troll tried to spook the wrong billy goat gruff, taking on the venerable 028 like that.:laugh:

100 028s??:dizzy: Where's he located and does he lock his shed?:jester: I thought I had it bad.........

Awww, nothing personal on the Troll at all, he makes a lot of valid points in many threads. But this time the troll tried to spook the wrong billy goat gruff, taking on the venerable 028 like that.:laugh:

100 028s??:dizzy: Where's he located and does he lock his shed?:jester: I thought I had it bad.........

I hear ya. He is located in PA...I'll try to have him take some current pics and post them in the thread.

Update Or Lack There Of!

Sorry for the delay fella's, granddad has not gotten that old 028
up here for me to check yet.

As soon as he does I will post an update and Iam going to try and post some
pics of the saw and its owner. Hes really pround of that old saw and
always offered to let me use it when I was cuttin all that wood with my
Green Machine. Now that I have seen the LIGHT so to speak. I cant believe
I could have cut all that wood in probably 1/2 the time and Iam sure with
1/2 the maintenance and parts replacements using a good saw. My 260 has been gettin a workout and I have now been on the hunt for a used 440 or

Theres goes those fat fingers again.

I was not finished damit!

I wanted to thank everybody for the opinions on the 028.
It sure sounds like this has been a great saw for all who have used
it and is well respected and well worth the time and effort to fix or rebuild it.
I have been lookin and doing research on replacement parts.
What ever it needs it will get. It sure looks like there are plenty of parts
still available.

Granddad as we call him ( my Father-Inlaw ) will be very pleased I am sure
when we get her goin again. He was tickle'd when I told him about this forum
and that I already had gotten some suggestions on its problems.
He still cant over how much can be learned on this new fangled thing called
the Internet. Sometimes I cant either. Its an amazing thing being able to
communicate with so many with the same interests and gather info with
the speed and ease of pushing a few buttons. It truely is a wonderful
thing.

So anyway thanks again all for the info and the encouragement.
I have enjoyed AS very much so far and hope to enjoy it for many years to come. Not only is there awsome info to be had but there are some
GENUINE CHARACTERS on here that just crack me up.
Around here it would be said that those are good people and in this F>>>'d
up world that is hard to find indeed.

So have a good night Gentlemen.
Until next time.......................Mark

Back