029 Base Bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carhartt

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
I picked up some diamond dremmel tips. Barely scratch it. I am realizing how bad of a situation this is. Anyone have any other ideas? Apparently the tip I broke off was pretty hard. I am thinking about a small grinding stone and trying to cut a slot in. This is gonna be a tricky one. Any suggestions wld be greatly appreciated.

tallfarmboy

tallfarmboy

ArboristSite Guru
I would stick with a sharp chisel and try to break out the pieces of the old bit. I've broken a Stihl cylinder wrench on a 290 before. I was pretty ticked... I've got a Kobalt 3/8" drive T27 now that is for this type of situation.

carhartt

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
If I jack up the screw head to bad how am i gonna get the bolt out? Remember the bolts where in there tight to begin with. I am afraid if i can get it slotted a screwdriver isnt gonna turn it loose. An dewalt impact didnt budge the the bolts.

z71mike

z71mike

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you can slot it all the way through the head of the bolt, you can then try to chisel the broken halves of the old bit. With the slot in the middle, they'll have some place to budge to. Once they are out, maybe an EZout can remove the bolt with alot of heat.

jughead500

jughead500

Sasquatch
In that situation I believe I would try drilling thru the broke bit and try to drill the head of the bolt off.it may take a few good bits.when you get the head off and the short block out of the case just turn it out with some vicegrips.

AKDoug

AKDoug

Pro Staff
If I jack up the screw head to bad how am i gonna get the bolt out? Remember the bolts where in there tight to begin with. I am afraid if i can get it slotted a screwdriver isnt gonna turn it loose. An dewalt impact didnt budge the the bolts.
Grind the head off. You will have plenty of bolt to grab onto to remove it. Often times it's the head against the case that is the part that is creating most of the "stuck" anyway.

carhartt

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Tried to drill the bit and have broken a few bits n it doesnt do much. I wld grind it off but its not that ez. its recessed in the bottom of the case of the saw. only a 1 inch hole to work in n screw is an inch deep. Not much room. I am not worried about getting the remainder of the stud out, jst difficult to get it that far.

downhanddave

downhanddave

ArboristSite Lurker
I just busted one of these saws apart today myself. They ate one of my bits too!!! But fortunately I got it out with a awl and some easy taps to straighten out. I have had to grind a head off of one of these bolts before. Pain in the a$$!! Just gotta get it off. Lol I am rebuilding a 029 super of my buddies. I have never ported one o these saws but it's what he has. So we are trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carhartt

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
I am drilling , chiseling, grinding. Making very little headway. this is one of those lessons learned the hard way. I need to go shopping for some dremmel bits. Whoever said the harbor freight diamond bits are ok shame on you and shame on me for believing. This was a 40 dollar saw and i am questioning its value at this point.

z71mike

z71mike

Addicted to ArboristSite
I am drilling , chiseling, grinding. Making very little headway. this is one of those lessons learned the hard way. I need to go shopping for some dremmel bits. Whoever said the harbor freight diamond bits are ok shame on you and shame on me for believing. This was a 40 dollar saw and i am questioning its value at this point.
Haha sorry to laugh. Lol. I feel bad for you. It's happened to all of us at some point so I know the pain.

carhartt

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
I stopped by my Stihl dealer today. He had 4 saws n a backpack blower for me. He takes care of me. I ordered another base bolt. I also picked up 2 carbide dremel bits for 20.00. Hope I can cut this screw up with them. Atleast maybe get a slot cut in for a big screw driver.

Saw Dr.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Back in my college days, I worked in a motorcycle shop. I made the mistake of extracting a broken fastener once. They were delighted, and I then got to extract EVERY broken fastener in Volusia county. I have had one 1127 that would NOT come apart. After it killed two of my bits, I just drilled the head off. It was one of the ones down in the well like you are fighting. You'll need a SHARP new Dremel burr, and some patience. You'll have to grind around the broken bit-tip, which is very difficult since you cannot see in there while you work. Once the tip is out, drill the head of the screw off as had been suggested already.

sefh3

sefh3

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm not sure which bolt you are working on but 2 bolts you can easily see and the other 2 bolts are hidden in the crank case. You need a really sharp drill bit and drill the head off. These bolts are self tapping that bolt thru the case and into the cylinder head.

carhartt

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
It was front right bolt. The carbide bits helped me get a groove in and it turned out with a big screwdriver. I am so happy. Turns out cylnder just needs cleaned but needs new P/Rs for sure. I will prolly just put a new 039 top end on. makes the weight of this saw a little more worth it.

Latest posts