029 super top end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Longbranch

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can someone confirm or deny that I will be able to take the stock cylinder and piston off my Ms 390 and put it on a 029 super. I can get the O29 for cheap money and it's running.
I need the CCs but I don't really want to change the broken oil pump on the MS 390 so I rather just take the top end off the 390 and put it on a working 029 super? is that possible? do you understand what I'm asking.
And then I'll buy another piston and cylinder an oil pump and fix the 390 later. Thank you.

Can someone confirm or deny that I will be able to take the stock cylinder and piston off my Ms 390 and put it on a 029 super. I can get the O29 for cheap money and it's running.
I need the CCs but I don't really want to change the broken oil pump on the MS 390 so I rather just take the top end off the 390 and put it on a working 029 super? is that possible? do you understand what I'm asking.
And then I'll buy another piston and cylinder an oil pump and fix the 390 later. Thank you.
The 029 and 029 Super are both in the 1127 series. These two vary in engine size only. ie, every other part interchanges. The 039 is also of this series and interchanges all parts except for the piston and cylinder.

In the MS series, the 1127 series family includes the MS290 (same engine as the 029 Super), the MS310 slightly larger at 59cc and the MS390 at 64+cc. (same engine as the 039)

All engines will fit in any saw. The plastics are interchangeable but can't be mixed and matched. ie, you can put 039 plastics on an MS390 and vise versa but you cant mix the orange pieces as the profiles are different. (pay attention to pictures if ordering aftermarket parts or you'll wind up with something that doesn't fit)

So of the 1127 saws, there are six of them and they all have parts that will interchange with others within the series but as mentioned above, there is no way of confirming what engine you have unless it's a Stihl cylinder which is marked with the series, and size but difficult to see without disassembling the saw. (cylinder bores can be measured through the exhaust port but it's not all that easy...)

Some other variations are the flippy caps versus screw on, different tank vents, snorkel carb or not, air filter to accommodate snorkel carb, and so forth.

Stihl made these saws by the boatload and they still have a strong resale value. The MS310 engines have little aftermarket support so typically an upgrade to the MS390 is sensible (for any engine repairs I always go to the 49mm 039/MS390 size)

So not only do I talk to myself I post threads and answer them myself I really am getting senile hope I don't cut the climbing line today thanks everybody those were some good answers

You can swap them. Personally I would put a new oil pump in the 390 though. You have to take it down that far to swap the cylinder anyway and aftermarket oil pumps are cheap. You'll need a bar stud and some sealer(dirko, motoseal.....) and I would also throw a set of crank seals in it too. Maybe even an impulse hose and fuel line. Just saying it would be easier to put an oil pump in it.

. You'll need a bar stud and some sealer(dirko, motoseal.....) and I would also throw a set of crank seals in it too. Maybe even an impulse
Appreciate your reply the boss studs need to be replaced or they need to be removed and have Selah put around them so bar oil doesn't leak out from them.
I lost you on that

. You'll need a bar stud and some sealer(dirko, motoseal.....) and I would also throw a set of crank seals in it too. Maybe even an impulse
Appreciate your reply the boss studs need to be replaced or they need to be removed and have Selah put around them so bar oil doesn't leak out from them.
I lost you on that
I lost you on that
The 1127 series saws are clamshells, which means the upper and lower halves of the engine split along the crank centerline. The rear bar stud(closest to the clutch) screws into the engine and usually gets ruined removing it. The sealer will be used to seal the upper and lower halves of the engine once you swap cylinders.

If the 039 is only have oiler issues i think id pull parts off the 029 to fix it

Id not put much of my efforts in a 029-390 saw. Theyre cheap enough new and theres to many saws on craigs list

You could build a 044-661 from the inside out for about the same amount of effort

Id not put much of my efforts in a 029-390 saw. They're cheap enough new and there's too many saws on craigs list. You could build a 044-661 from the inside out for about the same amount of effort.
In fact, it might even be less effort. BTDT with an 025 and a 290. I sold them both to owners who were running Wild Things. They tell me they are in heaven with their Stihls. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back