031 av stihl chainsaw need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryboy36266

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i got this 031 av saw everyone tell me the condenser bad so i got a new one my problem is how do you you get the old one out with breakeing it

Search.

You need a Stihl puller. About $10 on ebay. If you try to pull that flywheel, you are likely to break it. Use the puller.

Search.

You need a Stihl puller. About $10 on ebay. If you try to pull that flywheel, you are likely to break it. Use the puller.

hi thank found the puller got the flywheel off now how do you get the condenser out i try to pull it out but it want move do they made apuller for it need help

If memory serves, it is just a brute force and ignorance type of thing. The condensor will be destroyed by the operation. I think I just grabbed it with pliers and pulled.

Twist it out with pliers. Hope the new condenser works for you. I have three dead ones that "only need a condenser" that are still dead with new condensers.

Clean the points while your inside always a good app on those 031AV saws. Let us know if you have spark after you put it back together check the kill switch wire for exposed wire. Rare that a coil goes south on those saws I put a new condenser in them at my shop and they fire right up...Good luck

Nope, there wasn't a puller for the condensers. Just clamp a vicegrip on the top of it and wiggle it out. However, there was a tool to instal a new one. It was like a socket, sort of, and it was the correct length so the condenser was set at the correct depth.

You have to measure the depth that the original one was set, and then use an appropriately sized socket on the new condenser to drive it home. It is an intereference fit yes, but it isn't difficult to tap into the stator plate. There isn't much force involved.

Back