Stihl 020av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kane98

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to get rid of the points and condenser on a stihl 020av. I have a coil with built in trigger. Can I just run the on and off switch wire to the terminal on the coil and be ok? Also, how do I get the condenser out of the saw.

I’m trying to get rid of the points and condenser on a stihl 020av. I have a coil with built in trigger. Can I just run the on and off switch wire to the terminal on the coil and be ok? Also, how do I get the condenser out of the saw.
No. You need to get a Chip such as a Novi to convert it to electronic. After that, you can leave the points and condenser in it. Plenty of those kits avaliable on ebay. They come with instructions.

No. You need to get a Chip such as a Novi to convert it to electronic. After that, you can leave the points and condenser in it. Plenty of those kits avaliable on ebay. They come with instructions.
Thank so much for the info… Glad I got the right thing to do. I got the coil from a guy and he said it was an electronic coil with a built in trigger and I didn’t need the points and condenser any more. Glad I checked before I started putting this back together.

Thanks again,
Dale

I'm in the same boat. Currently have a 020AV broken down with the goal of getting rid of points and condenser. Originally bought a chip, then ended up with a new coil that specifically replaced points. Still broken down and have yet to install the coil.

I'm learning as I go and some of this is still a bit confusing as it sounds like I'm hearing different answers for what I'm trying to do.

A coil with trigger and wired up kill switch won't get this back up and running?

Back