031AV Muffler Gone Safe to Tune and Run?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider_99

Reaction score
I came across my dad's old firewood saw recently. 25-ish years ago I remember him cutting wood to heat our house.

Anyway I got it to fire up but realized it was louder than it should've been and figured out why. Muffler is gone except the flange and short section of tube.

My question, is it safe to tune and run like this or will I damage it without a proper muffler?

My plan for tuning is adjust L screw to highest idle rpm keeping the clutch disengaged with idle speed screw, then 1/16-1/8 richer. Then move to WOT and adjust H screw to highest RPM then 1/8 turn richer. I'll fine tune H while under load when I get a chance to do so. That may not be ideal but I've read that as a simple procedure for an amateur like myself. I do have a cab kit on the way that I'll install after a thorough cleaning and fresh gas mix (planning Stihl @ 40:1).

Open to other suggestions on both the muffler and tuning but trying to keep this low cost since we just bought a new place that needs a lot of work. If I need to spend some money I will since no sense in burning up a saw to save a buck.

Thanks,
Heath
5074a306a76ecbdde34d5f1f56fac59e.jpg

Not safe to run. Even if you get it to tune, which I doubt you can, that is a big spark/fire issue. Especially with an 031 that probably has a lot of hot carbon to spit out if unimpeded. I'm sure it sound awesome though. There are enough old carcasses around, you should be able to find a muffler in better shape than that. I love 031's btw, my dad ran 2 of them for decades.

Back