031AV Score! (3.5 years ago)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Ashcraft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought this saw 3.5 years ago (March 2009) at a farm auction. I was doing some research on it and ran across this site and joined. The saw was in a case and looked like it had recently been run, even the gas smelled fresh. I put a new plug and fresh gas in it and it wouldn't start, so I took it to my favorite small engine mechanic for a tuneup and sharpening.

He kept it for 3.5 years and never touched it. Granted he's had some health problems and only works a couple of days a week, plus he lost his Stihl dealership through inactivity (He sells Dolmars now). I picked it up last week and did some more research. I think I'll attempt to rebuild the carb myself and see if that works. If not I'll have to find someone to work on it.

The best part? I paid $40 for it. :blob2: I don't have a camera here at the shop, but picture a somewhat grubby used 031AV.

I use a Homelite 330 that I bought over 20 years ago from a pawnshop for most of my firewood cutting, and I have an Echo about the same size (don't know model #) for a backup.

Once I get the 031 running I think I'm in the market for a 60cc saw. I only cut about 3-5 cords a year, mostly downed cottonwood on my own place, so I really don't need a larger saw, but I have a case of the wants.

You can typically buy a new carb for the cost of a rebuild kit and a shops labor. Given how long it seems to get work done in your local :D I think the new carb would be the better option. Typically the part that goes bad on the carb is the pumper diaphram and a full rebuild isn't required. For what you have in the saw, I'd say just buy a new carb and chain, slap em on, fire it up and get er done.

You're going to like that 031 when you get it running. Like mnsam said, check for spark first. 031's both points and electronic had spark issues. Points models had problems with the condensers and the electronic ones had problems with modules. I have an 031 that I bought new in 1981 and I just made one out of 2 parts saws. Pics below:

The original 1981 saw.

downsized_1217111023a.jpg

The one that I just built from 2.

downsized_1005121803.jpg

Both have 20" bars and chains. The 031 isn't as fast and light as the new 50cc saws but they have good torque and will cut pretty fast with a sharp chain.

The 031 has a special place in my heart.

It's the first saw I ever tore down to the P/C.

Cleaned up the cylinder, reringed it, new spark plug boot, cleaned the carb, and it ran great.

That was a few years ago. As of this past summer, the fellow was still using it to cut 3 to 5 cords a year.

An 031 is the only saw I ever bought new, somewhere around 1981 or 82. It is still in service, my son took it over. He now has 2 running 031s and a parts saw. They are very reliable saws. I have converted to Huskies myself, but still work on his when needs be.

Id like to thank the OP for reminding me that in my shop, under a shelf, I have a complete 031 torn down in a box. I shall try to find time to put it back together this week now. :msp_biggrin:

Id like to thank the OP for reminding me that in my shop, under a shelf, I have a complete 031 torn down in a box. I shall try to find time to put it back together this week now. :msp_biggrin:

The 031 that I bought new in 1981 was torn apart and sat in a box for 4 years. After I joined AS I hunted down a used piston and cylinder for it and put it back together. It was the first saw that I ever bought and it has sentimental value. I still enjoy running it and just added a second bucking spike.

downsized_1005121806.jpg

The front lower bolt on the case is recessed enough on the later 031's so that you can put on the 2nd bucking spike.

Back