032 Muffler Refinishing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidd300

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a 032 that im rebuilding would Powder coating the muffler work out ?

How hot does a muffler get?

Most powder coating will handle temps in the 600 to 700 range

My Brother does this so its easy to get done

Powder works by baking the item around 400 F for a set amount of

time and the results are awesome !

Mike

Forget powder-coating. It will burn or chip off (too rigid)

Bead blast the muffler to remove all the rust and crud (wire brush if you don't have access to a Bead Blaster), degrease thoroughly, spray with any of the high temp ceramic header paints from an auto store, and then when dry BAKE the muffler at 450 for about 1-2 hours... This hardens the paint and makes it heat resistant. You can also use a lower temp for more hours -direction are on the can. Use convection heat (not radiant). Cover it with tin foil if you only have radiant heat.

I dont think powder coating is too rigid they make powder that flexs a little

i was just wondering how hot does the muffler get ?

i geuss I'll have to point the temp gun at it while its cutting wood to see thew temp

He got a bead blaster cabinet so i can get it cleaned before paint i was only wonder ng what kind to put on it

i could try it and if it doesnt work always take it bake off the saw and re blast it and try something else

Mike

maybe 800-1000 in spots... Most of it is much cooler. Exhaust gases about 1300+ at the cylinder exit, maybe more. The paint I was referring to is good to 1200F.
Check out the pics of the 361 muffler mods I did - you'll see the results (much better than factory), and it is really tough stuff.

ok WOW i dint think anything like that !

they make Hi temp powder but you cant spray hi temp in where you spray normal powder it has Silicon in it and causes fish eyes in other powders

so i geuss i bead blast and hi temp Bar bq paint on it then

Mike

The paint I use is called "Dupli-color, High Heat, with Ceramic", part number DH1602. I just use the black for obvious reasons! It's designed for header pipes and is oil and gas resistant. I get about 20+ mufflers per can!

Your 032 is going to be cooler due the muffer design and lower power so you maybe able to get away with a lower grade paint, but..

Last edited:
You can go too Columbia Coatings and get a high temp powder.That's the only powder that we have found that will hold up.Regular powder will just start to flake off at anything over 800 degrees.We have used the high temp even on Harley drag pipes with good results.Here's are web site if you need more info.

http://www.virginiapowdercoating.com

Steve

Back