034 bearing problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some time today. I split the cases and got a look at the bearing pocket. It looks like it's in good condition. It measure .002" larger than the bearing, but it's round and doesn't look scored up like I was expecting. I talked to my machine shop guy and he said he can shrink fit in a bushing and ream it to the proper interference fit for a new bearing. Bearings are on order. Hoping to get it back together and tested next weekend.
Splitting the cases was easier than I thought it was going to be. I'm enjoying working on this project and learning how things work.
Pictures are terrible, sorry. 20230303_175352.jpg20230303_175408.jpg20230303_175444.jpg

Update on the project.
The problem was either caused by the crank being bent or it got bent after the fact. Run out was. 014" on the clutch side. Measured with a dial indicator with the crank rotating in a set of v-blocks.

I ended up buying a used 036 case with crank installed. Put in new crank seals, bolted the cylinder on and vacuum/ pressure tested it. Got it all back together and ran/ tuned it today. It runs great and cuts wood like a champ.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Ed

Back