034 super died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmthrower

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last Saturday I took my father's saw to the shop for him. It kept quitting so the guy put a new plug in her and she ran like a top. So, Easter morning I fired her up (first pull) to finishing cutting up a maple. I made 4 or 5 cuts with it and shut it off to roll the log over to finish from the other side. Well it started right up again and then nothing. She siezed up right then.
So I took the saw back into the shop on Tuesday and the guy tore her down for me. He said that the cover over the crank bearings came apart and came up through the jug. That caused a big part of the piston to break. So now the saw has a broken piston and scored cylinder.
I trust the shop. They have been working on saws for 40 or 50 years and have always treated us great. Have you guys ever heard of this happening?
Also, do you guys have any 034 supers laying around that you might want to part with? It would cost almost as much to fix this saw as it would be to trade it in for a new 036.
Thanks

With that damage, just buy a new 036, ask them how much
the saw without bar and chain would cost, and put your old ones
on the new saw.
Fish

It's my father's decision so I can't trade it. He isn't looking to foot the bill of a new saw. It's still quite an expense for a new saw. I thought we had a hit on a used saw with broken housing and handle but I guess it's a fixer-upper and not a trade in.

i always thought 034's were nice, light saw for the power.

Worse thing i found is the screw sizes aren't standard (this era) Stihl 5mm(?) more like 4 or something...........

Never mind, i just had to counter MM.......:eek:

I agree with Ken on this one. The 034 was a good in tree saw for blocking. The nut size was a pain Ken. ;) The only thing was you had to choke up on the wrench when tightening down the bar or you would risk pulling the studs out of the oil tank.

Now that you mention it, a brand new modified 372 with a racing chain would just suck to own, next to an old, re-fixed, tired, 034. Who wants a saw that starts first pull, puts the smell of synthetic oil in the air, wakes up the neighbor two miles up the road, and tears through a 30" hard maple log like it was a 2.5" willow whip?
It warms my heart to know some people still take it easy, not having a problem spending a whole saturday afternoon cutting up a cord or two of firewood. That slow paced lifestyle is wasted on those born in the south.
I only brought up the hotsaw to sarcasticly reflect today's high speed society. Really, who wants all that power right at their finger tips? Who, in their right mind, would want to start up a saw and have it cut faster than they could drop it?
So my real thought is to find the parts of that 034 piston, get some epoxy, and forget about the scored jug, just run it. There won't be any power, but who wants all that excitement anyway?

We're Stihl men. I don't think my father would go for a Husky. The 034 super was a good saw for firewood. Not to heavy and big enough for most of the trees we cut. Sure a suped up new saw could handle it all a lot faster but in the end it's his decision.

Dozerdan, where in PA are you? Would you want to part with one?

There's a top end rebuild kit on ebay right now for $112.50. Any thoughts on this? It doesn't fix the whole saw but it would be a new top end.

wmthrower
I was just going to Ebay one of the 034 Supers.
I should also have all the parts here to rebuild your Super.
If you give me your email address, I will send you some pictures.
Later
Dan

wmthrower, I can make an educated guess from the ebay price for the topend kit that Jeff Sikkema is listing it. He`s an A-1 guy to deal with and the quality of those kits is excellent. I bought one for an 026 that I picked up with a scored cylinder and the quality looks just as good as oem. I haven`t dealt with Dozer Dan yet but from what trusted friends have told me, I wouldn`t hesitate to trade with him either. I was in House Trucking about a month and a half ago when they took in an 036 on trade with a snapped crank. It was a NIMO saw and the story was that on a -20 morning, a guy took it out of the truck, fired it up and revved it out, then set the chain break while it was still rolling. Snapped the clutch off but the engine was in good shape. Maybe it has some parts you can use? I`m no Stihl expert so I don`t know about interchangability between these models but it might work.

Russ

Jokers, they didn't mention anything about that saw. I'll be going back in there soon so i'll see what they have. They're pretty busy right now so it's hard for them to paw through the scrap piles.
I'll take a look at Dan's stuff too.
Thanks for the help guys.

Dan, I left you a message.

MM i'm sure a super tuned saw would be a bigger screamer, just being loyal to a friend that has been loyal to me. i bought my ol'used 034 6 years ago, for $125, it carries a 16" 3/8 very well, though designed to carry a .325 i beleive. Over time it has been very reliable, and good weight to power for me. But in Florida, probably don't do the firewood test quite as often as thee:blob4:; but i ain't apaologizing for that after this last winter especially!

And thus can proudly pro-claim i have never ran a saw at full bore @-20 and slammed on the brake................. i guees that i'm just too smart for that!:D

TimG. i beleive their is an off sized bar stud ending in the oil tank that was a problem. Also the "rope rotor"/recoil pulley is off sized and takes a size smaller rope, that seemed to have to be used, or the rope hangs; and the size ElastoStart that an enthusiastic dealer put on as a favour one time wasn't the right size....... i also carry various lentghs of the Stihl bolts for going into plastic and metal of various lengths, just in case (recoil pulley, pawls etc. too). The bolts on the 034 are 1 size smaller than the rest, taking away part of the fun for having all one brand!

wmthrower
Yes I did get your message,been super busy here.Give me a day or two.
Later
Dan

Back