034av vs. ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldsawnut

Oldsawnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks Andy, Correct me if I am wrong but that is the same year the 036 came out. I know the 034's were introduced in the mid 80's. I always figured they took away a couple of features on the 034 so that the 036 would be more sought after when they were in production together. I have ran the 034's side by side with a lot of the 036's and I much prefer the 034. They just seem to have a little more torque. Of course the older 034's that I have had didn't seem to have the power of the new ones. Or maybe I just had sharper chains. Perhaps the 034's from USA didn't have the electronic quickstop on the tags. I really don't know much about the history of stihl saws. When did they start producing in the US I know most of the newer 440's I got had the made in germany sticker on them... I havent warmed up to the strato saws yet :) For some reason I thought they mainly made the homeowner saws over here. Anyway thanks again for looking up the number. BTW not only is it front tensioner but you cant convert it over to a side tensioner. Also no inner plate but the same plastic runners in the case as the clutch cover. Goofy setup I know but I do love the saws.

John

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
From the manuals:

034: Stroke 34mm, Bore 46mm, 56.5cc, 4.1 Bhp
036, 036QS: Stroke 34mm, Bore 48mm, 61.5cc, 4.6Bhp
361: Stroke 34mm, Bore 47mm, 59cc, 4.6Bhp

So it looks like stroke is all the same but 361 produces the same output as 036 will smaller displacement.

The above is true, but the hp doesn't fit with advertising etc in the US - over here it fits, except for the "B" in front of hp.

Stihl has bin a bit confusing with the specs in the shop manuals vs the marketing......

KWF/DLG testing concludes with 3.3kW/4.5hp for the 360, and 3.4kW/4.6hp for the 361.

:dizzy: :dizzy:

litefoot

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
The 034av is like new condition with the original carboard box it came with. I bought it for $50.00 so I think I did ok. I guess I'll have to post the serial number of my 034av, It does to my knowledge have the side tension chain adjuster. It looks like I should keep the saw, although I will say it is rather tempermental in terms of flooding easily if not set just right(choke adjustment/etc.) it can be a hard starter. My other newer saws start much easier and don't seem as tempermental as the 034av. I do have an ms200 and it's a great little saw, great power for it's size.

The 034 should be the least temperamental to start and run. You probably need to adjust the L side of your carb a bit. Turn it (L screw) each direction until you get highest RPM at idle. Then back it off just a hair CCW. Now adjust the idle screw CCW until you get proper idle speed. I bet you'll see a big difference.:)

Last edited:

Latest posts