036/036 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What's the diff? Did a search, asked in another thread, no dead on conclusive differences. Someone told me a pro is 14cc larger. Any truth to this eh? Thanks:bang:

ciscoguy01 said:
What's the diff? Did a search, asked in another thread, no dead on conclusive differences. Someone told me a pro is 14cc larger. Any truth to this eh? Thanks:bang:
Depends on if I'm buying or selling. :rockn:

No truth...The "pro" model coinsided with the change to "intelli-carb". Decomp valve became standard... The Pro sticker got attached. Maybe other minor stuff too..

fishhuntcutwood said:
I like how you can put an 044 full wrap on an 036.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

So how do you west coast guys flush cut stumps? I have a wrap handle on one of my 372's and think it is a PITA. That is all i have to add to this discussion, lol

Freakingstang said:
Isn't that wasting valuable wood? No wonder the wrap handle isn't an issue...

We don't leave them waist high, but with terrain, even if you cut level with the uphill side, you've still got maybe several feet on the downhill side. See my avatar? Case in point. My cut is at waist height, but the uphill side is less than a foot above ground. Even on "level" ground out here, cutting at the dirt, there's alot of root flare on WRC and the extra foot or two on a 120' tree isn't worth the effort of cutting down that low. And it makes it more difficult to keep your eyes up the tree as it goes over.

fishhuntcutwood said:
We don't leave them waist high, but with terrain, even if you cut level with the uphill side, you've still got maybe several feet on the downhill side. See my avatar? Case in point. My cut is at waist height, but the uphill side is less than a foot above ground. Even on "level" ground out here, cutting at the dirt, there's allot of root flare on WRC and the extra foot or two on a 120' tree isn't worth the effort of cutting down that low. And it makes it more difficult to keep your eyes up the tree as it goes over.

I have also thought about flush cutting the stumps with the full wrap
As a land owner and cutting timber off my own land. I want the stumps
as low as I can get them. Don't want to hit'em with the pickup, ATV
tractor & bush-hog.

Now that fishhuntcutwood has explained I understand. This brings
up another point, At times people get to giving each other HE!! here
on AS about which saw is best for the job, when if somebody would just
stop and explain as Freakingstang ask a question and fishhuntcutwood came back
and explained his situation=No pissing match!
I guess what I'm getting at some times it's apples and oranges, we are not
just talking with a buddy just down the road, they maybe halfway
around the world, Different types of trees, landscape and heck the
same brand and model of saw maybe a little different than in your area.

And yes I know that a PI$$ING match is good sometimes ;)

hmmm

Lakeside53 said:
No truth...The "pro" model coinsided with the change to "intelli-carb". Decomp valve became standard... The Pro sticker got attached. Maybe other minor stuff too..

How bout hp or torque Andy? I was thinking about buying one, I know there's pro and the regular model. I didn't know if there was a real gain going to the pro if any???

ciscoguy01 said:
How bout hp or torque Andy? I was thinking about buying one, I know there's pro and the regular model. I didn't know if there was a real gain going to the pro if any???

Andy is trying to tell you they are the same motor. Alot of people thing they have to have the one that says "PRO" on it...Just a marketing scheme IMO.

Just like the 260 and 260 pro. The 260 is still a pro saw, but the 260 pro has an adjustable oiler and decomp, where the regular 260 doesn't.

Freakingstang said:
Andy is trying to tell you they are the same motor. Alot of people thing they have to have the one that says "PRO" on it...Just a marketing scheme IMO.

Just like the 260 and 260 pro. The 260 is still a pro saw, but the 260 pro has an adjustable oiler and decomp, where the regular 260 doesn't.

I could be mistaken but doesnt the 260 have a poly case and the pro has a mag case?

BostonBull said:
I could be mistaken but doesnt the 260 have a poly case and the pro has a mag case?

I didn't think it did.....hmmm

Andy, caling Andy. where are ya? we need you help ASAP. lol

Trigger-Time said:
I have also thought about flush cutting the stumps with the full wrap
As a land owner and cutting timber off my own land. I want the stumps
as low as I can get them. Don't want to hit'em with the pickup, ATV
tractor & bush-hog.

Now that fishhuntcutwood has explained I understand. This brings
up another point, At times people get to giving each other HE!! here
on AS about which saw is best for the job, when if somebody would just
stop and explain as Freakingstang ask a question and fishhuntcutwood came back
and explained his situation=No pissing match!
I guess what I'm getting at some times it's apples and oranges, we are not
just talking with a buddy just down the road, they maybe halfway
around the world, Different types of trees, landscape and heck the
same brand and model of saw maybe a little different than in your area.

And yes I know that a PI$$ING match is good sometimes ;)

Good post Gary!

fishhuntcutwood said:
We don't leave them waist high, but with terrain, even if you cut level with the uphill side, you've still got maybe several feet on the downhill side. See my avatar? Case in point. My cut is at waist height, but the uphill side is less than a foot above ground. Even on "level" ground out here, cutting at the dirt, there's alot of root flare on WRC and the extra foot or two on a 120' tree isn't worth the effort of cutting down that low. And it makes it more difficult to keep your eyes up the tree as it goes over.

All excellent points professor timber. Out here in the east it's pretty much the same thing, (except of course smaller timber and full wraps aren't as popular). Timber on slope generally a little more visible stump left and generally everyone cuts at or slightly above the root flare because even if it makes it to the landing will be removed before loaded on the truck. The exception being prime or veneer hardwood stems where the feller may take a little more time gaining as much outta that first log as humanly possible. Not uncomon to see almost flush cuts on these stems. There isn't as much to "give up" here :D we don't get 80'+ clear stems. Likely only the first or second log is prime. Snow pack may also have influence on stump height, depending on species/jobber/forester/land owner.

BostonBull said:

I don't now about the new ones, My non-Pro 026 has the mag case.

Cisco, personally I'd opt for the "Pro" version unless price is that much of a factor for ya. I have a 036 from not long after they came out(mid 90s) before the Pro model was introduced. Haven't scoped out the new ones lately, but I'd probably go Pro route if buying. BTW I love mine, great saw still runs as it did new. Not ONE problem in +/-12 years of operation.:chainsaw: :rockn: :blob2: Flawless.

ciscoguy01 said:

Same...

The pro is worth it for the larger air filter and compensating carb... In the case of the 36, the Pro wasn't a separate model, but a later model. I believe the the "Pro" was original made to differentiate it from the 034super which killed the non-pro 036 (same power, $80 cheaper!).

Last edited:
I wager Lakeside is totally correct. I bought my 036 Pro back in summer '01, and at the time, replacing a worn-out 034, my dealer gave me the run down on both the 036 and Pro, suggesting the Pro was the way for me to go with my needs. Now, this is pretty unhelpful I suppose because for the life of me I don't recall one single thing the dealer told me except that the Pro was the better saw in my case....

Back