What size bar for an 036 Pro is best

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outback1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I’m just finishing up a 036 Pro top end rebuild as I kept the OEM barrel . So as my title ask what size bar have you found that is a good fit for this saw? I was thinking 20” but it had a 25” bar on it when I got the saw.
Any information is kindly appreciated.

My 034 super came used with a 24” but the 28” lightweight was a better fit. This was is on pnw softwood

20 in is best with 3/8 chain, you can run a 25 but it is not enough saw for everyday use. A 034S will pull a 25 inch bar better that a 036 but an 024S is a factory hot rod lol
034S and 036 are same bore and stroke, I can’t imagine there’s that much difference between the two spec wise? 034 has a better flowing muffler I know that.

I run a 20" 3/8" full chisel on mine. It runs that very well, and cuts better than the 18" .325 bar that was on it. I don't think that I would want any more than the 20" on it here cutting NC hardwood, and anything longer I would think would be a little nose heavy if using it all day.

I have an 036 and run a 20" bar - it performs well and is my general purpose saw. I also use it with a ripping chain on an edging mill. I'd say you would not want to use the saw cutting hardwoods with a bar larger than 20" - i think that is max length of what its designed to run with - proper oiling.

I run a 20" 3/8" full chisel on mine. It runs that very well, and cuts better than the 18" .325 bar that was on it. I don't think that I would want any more than the 20" on it here cutting NC hardwood, and anything longer I would think would be a little nose heavy if using it all day.
That’s exactly what I put on mine a 20” light bar full skip chain

That’s exactly what I put on mine a 20” light bar full skip chain
A 20" is about perfect for a 036 around here. I'm running a full comp chain instead of skiptooth, but it still pulls it very well. I have to ease off a little in dead, dry oak sometimes if I'm burying the bar, but that's about it. And if I'm in oak that big, I'm usually running my 461 or 660.

I have an 036 and run a 20" bar - it performs well and is my general purpose saw. I also use it with a ripping chain on an edging mill. I'd say you would not want to use the saw cutting hardwoods with a bar larger than 20" - i think that is max length of what its designed to run with - proper oiling.
25" is about it for oiling the chain well. Seven pin rim in softwood running a 28" is pushing it to the limits imho.

I see. I think I have one in good shape in the saw room at work. Mite have to add it to the fleet.
Save it for climbing and high lift work. You can do a few updates to it or not. Open up the muffler with one huge port hole if your leaving it stock. If not PM me. Got a whole list of stuff done to two here and building two more in 034 kinda. I'll just say the jugs are 034 on two, other jugs are 034S and 360P. Not touching the minty ones in 034 and 036. Definitely parting with a few this month.

Back