036 compression release diagnosis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compression test would be a good idea to gauge the health of the saw. Also pull the muffler and inspect the piston. If it’s scored your looking at a new piston and ring possibly a cylinder. Pull the muffler first. If the piston looks good then go further with it. Doesn’t sound like an air leak, mite just need a carb adjustment.

If it's not the decomp check the spark screen in the muffler for being clogged, and under the carb diaphragm cover for sawdust (carb can't pump). While you are in the carb also check the screen filter and one on the hose pickup.

Any of the above will keep a saw from revving WOT.

A leaking decomp button would really have to be F'ed up to cause issues you'd notice. The stihls have a notoriously small port drilled in them( I change mine over to husqvarna).
You have other bad stuff going on is my guess. You would see mix blowing out the decomp if it has reliability issues.

A leaking decomp button would really have to be F'ed up to cause issues you'd notice. The stihls have a notoriously small port drilled in them( I change mine over to husqvarna).
You have other bad stuff going on is my guess. You would see mix blowing out the decomp if it has reliability issues.
Which husqvarna decomp would you use on a 036 stihl?

If it's not the decomp check the spark screen in the muffler for being clogged, and under the carb diaphragm cover for sawdust (carb can't pump). While you are in the carb also check the screen filter and one on the hose pickup.

Any of the above will keep a saw from revving WOT.
If I do take the carb apart I might as well get a kit RB 31 ? What is the best aftermarket kit ? Stihl kits are $42 ?

If I do take the carb apart I might as well get a kit RB 31 ? What is the best aftermarket kit ? Stihl kits are $42 ?

Try to get a OEM kit from carb maker. Tilloston may have good kits. Not sure?

If you are careful carb can be taken apart without tearing things. Put a little vasiline on gaskets/diaphragms and they will come off next time, without tearing.

$thil/$teal is very proud of what they $ell/rape you for.

I'm glad I have a stash before even, Ebay $tihl parts went crazy. I have a box of RS33 72 chains I got for $15 each, delivered. Some $40 pistons.

Attachments

• Tillotson_Exchange_Catalog.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
before buying parts, did you diagnose the problem properly?
- was the spark arrester screen plugged?
- Is the fuel vent or fuel lines OK? try starting the saw, putting it on its side and carefully removing the fuel cap, does that help it rev?
(both of these issues can cause a saw to struggle to get to high revs).

I'd try cleaning out a carb before replacing it.

Try to get a OEM kit from carb maker. Tilloston may have good kits. Not sure?

If you are careful carb can be taken apart without tearing things. Put a little vasiline on gaskets/diaphragms and they will come off next time, without tearing.

$thil/$teal is very proud of what they $ell/rape you for.

I'm glad I have a stash before even, Ebay $tihl parts went crazy. I have a box of RS33 72 chains I got for $15 each, delivered. Some $40 pistons.
Its a zama carb,zama says to go to oem

Latest posts

Back